Questions about re-using yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikejamesnelson

Reaction score
I recently used yeast yeast 3711 to ferment a batch of low gravity cider, I now would like to use that yeast for a saison. My question is, the yeast that has settled at the bottom of the fermenter how viable will that be, and will that be pure yeast, or mostly dead yeast? Is washing necessary? And can I split some of it into a sterilized jar for later use? Thanks! :mug:

You will get a lot of different opinions on this topic, and all have their own merits. I like to wash twice, crash cool, decant clear liquid, make starter on stirplate, 24 hrs pitch in new batch. Just my formula.

i don't bother with washing i just pour the yeast into a sterilized mason jar and reuse it right out of the jar, no starter needed. the yeast will keep for weeks or months in the fridge, probably longer.

What if one were to, say, rack a beer from the primary fermenter and add new wort directly onto the yeast cake left over from said racking? Would this yeast cake still be viable and would there be an enhanced risk of contamination with this method?

What if one were to, say, rack a beer from the primary fermenter and add new wort directly onto the yeast cake left over from said racking? Would this yeast cake still be viable and would there be an enhanced risk of contamination with this method?

Some do that with no I'll effects, certainly seems the easiest option if your timing works out. But it has to be the same recipe or at least similar style.

basedDOGIE,

You'd be over-pitching something fierce, but people do it all the time. The non-yeast gunk shouldn't be a problem, although you'll have to make sure to leave it there when you rack to your bottling bucket a few weeks later.

I think contamination would be an issue if you had a lag between bottling the first batch and pouring in the second (not sure how long; I've only ever done it within maybe 15 minutes or so.

basedDOGIE,

You'd be over-pitching something fierce, but people do it all the time. The non-yeast gunk shouldn't be a problem, although you'll have to make sure to leave it there when you rack to your bottling bucket a few weeks later.

I think contamination would be an issue if you had a lag between bottling the first batch and pouring in the second (not sure how long; I've only ever done it within maybe 15 minutes or so.

Thanks guise!
There should be little to no lag time since I'm planning on brewing today and the other beer is ready to rack whenever. There is currently an amber ale in the carboy and I was planning on doing something simple today like a SMASH pale ale, so I figure the small amount of amber will give it a little character and shouldn't do too much harm.

Latest posts

Back