questions about perlick 525SS and shank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeppman

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just received 4 new 525SS faucets and stainless steel shanks. When I installed them, I really had to tighten the collar nut (don't know if that's the right term)... I mean, put nearly all my strength into tightening it so it wouldn't leak. One would leak no matter what. So I called the store that I got them from, and they happily got me a new shank and faucet which arrived about a week later. When I went to install the new faucet and shank, I was surprised by how easy it was to get the faucet on the shank, and I didn't need to tighten the collar nearly as much to get a leak free connection. Now I'm concerned about the the other three faucets.

What is everyones experience with Perlick faucets? Is it normal to have to really crank down on these things to get a leak free connection?

Thanks!

There were some reported issues recently of Perlick 525SS and shanks not fitting well together. One of the vendors here (Kegconnection, I think) stopped selling them for a bit, but they claim that the issues have been fixed. From what I remember, the situation was as you described, and that the spines were just not a great fit with the taps.

I don't have my faucets and taps yet (ordered but not shipped), so I can't answer your question, but yours is not a unique situation.

I had the same problem and fixed mine last night. Try using plumbing tape, and a pipe wrench (I had to use two peopleto get it tight enough). I also heard of using a rubber mallet and vasoline, and have seen other posts where people filed down the teeth to get them to fit together.

bjohnson... see, that too me just seems ridiculous. we pay all this money for a faucet that is supposed to be "the best faucet" and you have to do that to get it not to leak...

I bought a cheapo chrome draft tower with chrome shanks, couldn't get the Perlicks to fit no matter how hard i tightened them. I bought a pair of used SS shanks from someone on here, and the Perlicks fit exactly right.

Im not disagreeing with you, I just needed to get them on so I can serve my beer...

Well just for the heck of it, I took the faucets off and tried to re-install them on the shank. They did go on quite a bit easier... Maybe that rubber gasket needed an original break-in period or something.... I don't know. I'm just going to not worry about it and enjoy my beer :)

I have the same faucet but was unsure about how to attach... did you have 2 rubber rings that went inside the faucet when attaching? (tightening the collar)

There was only one rubber ring that I know of, and it was inside the faucet behind the "teeth". As far as I know, this came installed from the factory and does not look like you should remove it, unless it needs replacement? I don't know, maybe someone else who really knows these faucets can chime in.

I had this problem with my faucet from kegconnection. It was actually the shank that was the problem according to them. The one piece shank wouldn't tighten, so they sent me one of the multi piece shanks and it worked without a hitch.

Back