Questions About Keg Conversion Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbob

Reaction score
Hey Everybody,
I wanted to get you take on a purchase that I'm considering. I'm
looking to convert a sankey keg to a MLT and found this conversion kit
at More Beer.

MoreBeer | Weldless Mash Keg Conversion - Stainless

It seems that the false bottom only covers the concave portion of the
bottom of the keg and would like your thoughts if any of you have used
this or if you think that I might have any issues with efficieny.

Jimbob

I think that if Morebeer designed it then they tested it etc. They have a good reputation. If the pickup tube does not go close to the bottom then that would be easy to fix. You can call them on that and ask before purchase. They have an 800 number too.

1-800-600-0033
MoreBeer | Beer Making and Home Brewing Supplies

A 15" false bottom has 1.86 times more filtering surface area vs that 11" false bottom. I would go for the largest one that can fit even if it were a hinged to install thru a 12" opening in your keg. Add a few screws for support to prevent it from sagging from the grain weight.

This is really where I was going and maybe should have asked my question more specifically. What differences will I see if I go with a smaller filtering area compared to full screen over the diameter of the MLT, as BrewBeemer spoke about?

It seems that as long as the false bottom fits down on the bottom of your keg to keep hops and sludge from getting under it, it should do everything you expect it should.

Back