Questions about head retention in relation to line length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worldzfree

Reaction score
Well, I scoured through all the different threads trying to suss out why my beer that is poured from a new kegerator just doesn't have any type of head retention. I am confused about the following.

-Does line length affect head creation and retention?
-Or is it just carbonation level solely?

Here is what I have. Two different beers (one IPA and one porter). Both are setup the same.

Diameter of liquid tubing: 3/16"
Flow rate: .75
CO2 volume: 2.65
Serving temperature: 40F
Serving pressure: 14
Height difference between middle of keg and shank: 2 feet

Before I found the following calculation I had set the lines up to 36" per keg.

Code:
(1800 * diameter of line^5/flow rate^2*(PSI-(.44*height of tap above middle of keg)))

Here is what mine looks like on based on the above inputs

Code:
(1800*.1875^5/.75^2*(14-0.44*2))

When I pull a pint out of the faucet on either they both have decent head but it goes away rather quickly (about five minutes). I would expect the head to stay for the entire glass. How can accomplish this? I appreciate the insight that the seasoned vets here may have. Thanks.

I don't think line length should have any bearing on head retention.

Did you clean your new beer line before using it?

I believe that head retention is more impacted by your recipe and process than the length of your line. It can also be impacted by what you use to clean your glasses.

I would have to agree with the above posts. I think recipe and process has much more to do with head retention than line length.

thank you all for the clarification. being rather new to stuff it helps to have insight from others so i don't go off on a wild goose chase of my own making ;). cheers!

Back