Questions about a new IPA I am brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieB603

Reaction score
I am about to brew up a 2 gal batch of IPA with an oz of warrior hops, 2 .oz of sorachi ace hops and an oz of mosaic hops. 3.15 lbs gold malt extract syrup and a half lb of rahr 2 row malt, boiled for 45 mins, will this be too malty\hoppy?

So the "grain bill" gets you to around 1.060 OG. So far, so good.
But assuming you pitch the Warrior at the beginning of your 45 minute boil, that alone puts the IBUs up around 140.
If you then pitch the Sorachi Ace at, say, 15 minutes and the Mosaic at 5, the IBUs would be up around 240.

That 2 gallons is what's setting everything off. The same hop schedule in 5.25 gallons would yield 98 IBUs.

I think you'd do well to play with a recipe calculator...

Cheers!

+1 to using a recipe calculator (or get the beersmith trial) what youhave above will be veeeeeery hoppy/bitter (depending on your addtion times)

I played around with the ingredients a bit and came up with the following. It uses everything you have and tops out around 60 IBUs.

Type: Extract
Style: American IPA

Batch Size: 2.00 Gallons
Boil Length: 60 Minutes
OG: 1.057
FG: 1.011
ABV: 6.0%
IBU: 60
SRM: 6

Fermentables
------------
3.15lb Light Liquid Malt Extract (US) - Boil
0.50lb 2-Row (UK) - Steep

Hops
----
0.50oz Warrior - Boil - 45 Minute(s) (50.72 IBU)
0.50oz Sorachi Ace - Boil - 5 Minute(s) (8.95 IBU)
1.00oz Sorachi Ace - Boil - 0 Minute(s) (0.00 IBU)
0.50oz Warrior - Boil - 0 Minute(s) (0.00 IBU)
1.00oz Mosaic - Dry Hop - 5 Day(s) (0.00 IBU)
0.50oz Sorachi Ace - Dry Hop - 5 Day(s) (0.00 IBU)

Yeast
-----
Safale US-05 Dry Beer Yeast

Thanks all. Beer is in the fermenter and OG was around 1.060. Another quick question, there seems to be a bit of wort in the airlock. Should I be worried? Will it hurt anything?

Back