Questionable Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battery_BreweryNJ

Reaction score
Ive obtained 2 oz of hops pellets from a friend who home brewed for a little bit.
1oz of Fuggle
1oz of Kent
They were sealed in a zip-lock bag and kept in a dark pantry for little over a month.
Would they still be ok to use even though they weren't kept cold?
Or would they be not worth it?

Hop pellets really aren't that expensive. When in doubt, throw them out. Don't risk ruining 5 gallons of good brew over a few bucks worth of hop pellets. My LHBS guy recommended to me to keep pellets in the freezer and I trust him, so I personally would toss them.

Hi,
Its actually pretty unlikely they went bad at room temperature in only a month. Here's an article on hop aging - but an average hops can survive a few months at room temperature if absolutely needed.

Cheers,
Brad

If they were in barrier bags (silver) then they were good. Now go chase down that trash truck. :D

"Homebrewers use many varieties (of hops) that will deteriorate and lose 50 to 70 percent of their brewing value within weeks if not packaged and stored appropriately."
-Charlie Papazian (The complete Joy of Homebrewing)

It seems silly to me to use old nasty hops just to save a few bucks but thats just me. They were in Zip lock bags (not oxygen barrier) and they were not refrigerated, much less frozen. If you use them, don't use them in a really good, expensive brew. Pages 64 and 65 of the afore mentioned book discuss this subject in detail.

Back