Question, Why can't I?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landshark

HMFIC
Reaction score
I am looking at slowly moving to Ebrewing, as I worry every time I boil I am going to run out of propane. So for my first step is to convert my Boil Kettle to Electric.

Now the question. Is there any reason I can't just connect my 4500W element directly to a 30A GFI Rated outlet to boil in w/o the need of a SSR or PID? :confused:

I would say I am mechanically minded, but when it comes to electronics and wiring diagrams, I am at a loss. The way I see it though is for a boil kettle I just want to heat the wort for 1 hour, why not just leave the heater on/plugged in?

I figure once I go to full electric with an electric MT and HLT I can add pumps, PID, and a control panel, but I just want to start w/ the boil kettle.

Trying to use a KISS method for starters. :eek:

While I think you can do this, the main issue is that you can't control how vigorous your boil will be - you'd run the risk of having a significantly increased amount of boil off.

But as long as it's one of those ULWD heating elements, you probably won't have to worry about scorching wort, just the boil off issue.

It seems like an easier first step would be electrifying your HLT - put a simple on/off switch on there, and you're good to go. Granted, there's less of a propane savings involved, but there's also a lot less electronics involved.

if you are boiling 5 or 10 gallons, 4500w full blast will cause a volcano in your pot, and eventually the element will overheat and beak because there will be more air (from boiling) than liquid around the element and it wont be able to transfer 4500w of heat fast enough.

you only need 500-2000w of power to boil 10 gallons, depending on the pot, insulation and ambient conditions.

Ok, thank you for the replies, I was thinking it was possible.

Will begin piecing together the PID's for a more correct build in the meantime. With the cheap price of the heaters, I can experiment with sizes. may try a 2000W or 35ooW to start off with for now.

Thanks guys.

Went to the Hardware store over lunch, Picked up a 2500W Element.

Hopefully it works.

Most of my money spent went towards a Gang Box. Weekend project is now making it work.

To find a 240 GFI cheap now.

Back