Question on this GE fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toastbrew

Reaction score
Im just trying to see if anyone has ever converted a General electric mini-fridge (model #TAX4DNCAWH)to a kegerator? I just picked up a 1990-somthin' GE mini fridge for free. A corny will almost fit in it, it just needs like another 1/2'' of head space...Its got a freezer compartment, and the bottom of the freezer has freon lines in it, and it cant be moved. Can I somehow use this for cornys?

Is it just a thin metal plate? If that's the case, it can be moved (carefully). Pictures?

I am almost done converting a mini-fridge. I'll try to get pics up tonight or tomorrow. Where can I put picks for this site?

its a thin metal plate, but it has (what im guessing) are freon lines in it for the freezer. the manual calls it the "evaporator"

You will have to link them from photobucket/snapfish or any site like that (unless you go premium).

You should be able to slowly (carefully) bend this down so it is along the back of the fridge. I did it before to a friends fridge, and there are some posts on it I can dig up if you need me too.

Hello And Happy Thanksgiving! Could You Post Some Pics Or Posts On This Technique? {i'm Shopping Around For A Small 'fridge That Would Make A Good Candidate For A Kegerator Conversion.} Thanks.

ah-ha! Just got some time to work on this and bent the "freezer" plate down as per morotorium's suggestion, and it fits perfect. Not pretty, but it will get the job done! Thanks!

Glad it worked out for you! Make sure when you plug it in (if it's not now) that you check the 'in' tube to it for any leaks. The good news is, only you will see the inside, so it doesn't matter how it looks!

Are you planning to put in a tower? Do a search on the forums for Sanyo 4912 conversion- it explains the 'cornstarch slurry method' to check for freon lines on the top of the fridge.

There are other conversion jobs done on here that have pictures of this method- Forget the models. It's not incredibly hard, just takes patience. I had picked up a sanyo on CL before and did this, only to be disappointed that even with the inner door removed I could only fit one corny. Bent it back up and sold it good as new.

Old thread but just bought this same model mini fridge off craigslist for $50! Toastbrew is it able to fit 2 corny kegs with some modification? I'm really hoping so, it seems like it will be able to at least with taking out a little insulation. I've currently got a pin lock keg but I want to expand and it seems like it's tough to get 2 pin locks in any of these kegerator mini fridge threads, just wondering if you had some insight on it

Latest posts

Back