Question on flavoring in the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm brewing a hard root beer that will be ready to keg in a week or so. I'm not planning to serve it in the keg - I plan to force carbonate it and then bottle. The recipe calls for backsweetening with honey and sugar, so I'm going to stabalize with Potassium Metabisulfite and Potassium Sorbate first.

The recipe also calls for vanilla and root beer flavoring. From the posts on the recipe, there can be issues with the root beer flavoring settling to the bottom. I was thinking of adding the flavoring in the keg after carbonation. Basically carbing for a week, then releasing pressure and pouring the flavoring in through the pressure relief valve hole.

I'll need to mix the flavoring into the keg, so I was thinking of gently rolling it on the floor, and perhaps standing it on one end and then the other. I've read about shaking a keg to try and carbonate it quickly. I've never intentionally shaken a keg, gently or not. I was wondering if anyone has done anything similar and if I'll need to let it set for a while before I start bottling? I haven't seen anything on how quickly the root beer flavoring settles, so I'd like to bottle as soon as I can after adding it to the keg.

Thanks for your help!

I can't speak on root beer flavoring settling, but you'd have no issues adding the flavoring in the keg after carbonation. Slowly release the pressure from the keg, open it up and add flavoring, close it up and purge the headspace with CO2.

Once purged and pressurized at serving pressure you can agitate the keg to mix the flavoring without any problems (I just tilt back and forth, not a vigorous shake). I've served shortly thereafter without allowing any settling time.

Latest posts

Back