Question on FG...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slheinlein

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch six days ago. I didn't take my OG but I calculated it to be .059. I took a reading yesterday and I was at .022. The target FG from Beer Calculus is .016.

My question is, how much of a difference is there from .022 to .016? Since this is my first brew, I used a Muntons Bock Beer kit and the Muntons yeast that came with the kit. No extra yeast.

Also, is it too late to pitch add'l yeast if needed. I am getting no airlock bubbles anymore. I raised the temperature a few degrees and tried to rouse the yeast but not sure it is working. My temp up until the degree increase was around 63.

Leave your beer alone for another week, 2 if you can stand it. Then take another reading. If it is still 022 then you can worry. It will drop closer to your target FG.

reread your thread and I assume it was an extract. So, I would say it is not done. I rarely would suggest repitching dry yeast in a mid gravity beer like that. I would say the airlock isn't an indicator of fermentation and you should check the gravity tomorrow and see if it has changed.

What is the temperature you are fermenting at?

Was the additional 4.3 lbs of DME in lieu of adding sugar? Or was the DME in addition to dextrose/sugar that came with the kit?

Dry yeast is usually pretty forgiving, give it time. Slow fermentation doesn't mean stuck fermentation. Remember...... More patience = better beer.

What is the temperature you are fermenting at?

Was the additional 4.3 lbs of DME in lieu of adding sugar? Or was the DME in addition to dextrose/sugar that came with the kit?

Dry yeast is usually pretty forgiving, give it time. Slow fermentation doesn't mean stuck fermentation. Remember...... More patience = better beer.

Up until today, my fermentation temperature was around 63. I moved to a warmer spot today and increased it to about 66.

The kit came with 4 lbs of hopped dark extract syrup. I added another 4.3 lbs so that was in addition to the extract from the kit.

My original plan was to rack to second fermenter this upcoming weekend which would make 11 days in the primary. Plan to let it sit in there a week or so before bottling. I only want to transfer into secondary so I can start another brew.

Does the patience thing become easier as you get more experienced. Its killing me now.

My original plan was to rack to second fermenter this upcoming weekend which would make 11 days in the primary. Plan to let it sit in there a week or so before bottling. I only want to transfer into secondary so I can start another brew.

Does the patience thing become easier as you get more experienced. Its killing me now.

That will be fine. It's much easier to be patient when you have homebrew to drink...

Another fermenting bucket is $20 or so at your LHBS - better to buy a spare fermenter than to rush a good beer. It sounds like you're on the way to a good first beer - don't rush it.

Back