Question on Blondes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeBAD

Reaction score
No, not the kind pinned up on your wall, sorry.

I've tried many blonde ales over the past year or so and I noticed they all have the same "wang" to them that I can't quite put my finger on. It's definitely a specific taste they all have. Personally I like it but my son doesn't. We are new to brewing beer (have only done 3-extracts to date) and he wants to avoid that ingredient at all costs.

Does anyone know what that taste is? Thanks for any help!

Probably has something to do with your water. It might need to be softer. If you do t already do this, cut your strike/spare water with some RO

Probably has something to do with your water and the pH being too high. It might need to be softer. If you don't already do this, cut your strike/sparge water with some RO water from the grocery store. Then again,I know nothing about the water source you use. Take it for what it's worth.

No man I don't mean anything I've brewed. I mean the blonde ales you buy in the store (ie Sweaty Betty-by Boulder Beer)

Yeast could be it. Some people use belgian etc. I used us-05. Other wise start looking at the grain bill. I might be wrong but I think most blondes are 80% base like 2 row.

Are there blondes that you do like? I recall Sweaty Betty being kind of flavorful for a blonde.

No, not the kind pinned up on your wall, sorry.

I've tried many blonde ales over the past year or so and I noticed they all have the same "wang" to them

Your blonde's have a wang....well that's the problem right there, try a different type of bar...or do what this guy does to make sure...

couldn't help it and hey, your title was baiting anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
ericbw said:
Are there blondes that you do like? I recall Sweaty Betty being kind of flavorful for a blonde.

Another beer that has that taste is "Mama's Little Yella Pils" by Oskar Blues and "White Rascal" by Avery. Not positive if these are technically classified as blondes but they have the same taste I'm talking about.

Blonds may tend to skunk (though not like lagers). Is it a musky "wang"? Sometimes skunk isn't even entirely unpleasant (to me, anyway), even if it does mean old beer/bad storage.

Hey my bad earlier. I failed to read the post properly. White Rascal and Mamas Little Yella Pils are very different styles but both use German noble hops,which are often used in Blonde ales also. White Rascal is hersbrucker hops and pils is saaz would imagine that's what's producing the flavor or aroma. You might try to locate a beer that you know that uses one or both of those hops to make sure that's what you dislike.

What kinds of beer do you usually drink? If you normally drink lighter styles, maybe the amount of flavor and aroma hops is what you're noticing.

fearwig said:
Blonds may tend to skunk (though not like lagers). Is it a musky "wang"? Sometimes skunk isn't even entirely unpleasant (to me, anyway), even if it does mean old beer/bad storage.
Skunk? A blonde ale isn't any more susceptible to skunking than any other beer. Do you mean to refer to sulfur?

Skunk? A blonde ale isn't any more susceptible to skunking than any other beer. Do you mean to refer to sulfur?

I think you're more likely to taste it as "skunk" in a low lov/ low abv beer, and it comes more as molasses in dark or big beers. Maybe I'm nuts. Not talking sulfur, but I can see why lager comment brought that. Commercial lagers just tend to be skunked due to glass choice.

Sounds like OP meant some kind of hop flavor though, from the other posts, and maybe not some flaw.

ericbw said:
What kinds of beer do you usually drink? If you normally drink lighter styles, maybe the amount of flavor and aroma hops is what you're noticing.

I prefer beers with some hop (Ranger, Boulevard Single Wide, Dechuttes Chain Breaker or Mirror Pomd, etc) and I also like porters and stouts.

You know, White Rascal and Sweaty Betty are both wheats - one is a wit-style, and one is hefe, but they would both have a lot of wheat in them. (Yella Pils isn't though.) Maybe a lot of the blondes you've tried are wheaty? I like wheat, but maybe you don't. Wits and hefes also have spiciness, either from the yeast or from spices, but maybe that's what you don't like?

I guess I am not sure why you want to brew a blonde if you don't really like them?

I don't want to brew a blonde. I just want to stay away from the certain ingredient or hop that is providing the taste we don't like. Btw I generally do like wheat beers so I don't think that's the problem. The specific beers I mentioned (Sweaty Betty, Mamas, Rascal) all have that taste I was referring to.

Can you describe the wang as you taste it? That would help. Without that info I assume it is European style hops you don't like.

daveooph131 said:
Can you describe the wang as you taste it? That would help. Without that info I assume it is European style hops you don't like.

Wow that one is teed up and ready to drive 300 yards. Haha!

Seriously though I will have to grab one of those sometime and taste it again. It's been a few months.

European wang is known to have a little something extra up front. American wang may come off cleaner, but preferences do differ.

(Sorry)

I can't remember if it was a big wang or little wang though. Guess it could depend on the blonde!.........

Back