Question on Belgian styles and general commercial discourse...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowbie

Reaction score
I am new to homebrewing and also to most styles of beer. A brief beer background which may or may not be relevant to this question: I am 22 years old. I had my first beer at 12:30 on my 21st birthday. It was a Stella. For the next six months, almost every single beer I had was a New Holland Brewing mainstay or seasonal (IPA, kolsch, oatmeal stout, amber, saison, wheat, and brown ale). Even after that, up to three months ago, the only beers I tried worth noting were Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald and Founder's Dirty Bastard. (both of which I liked).

In the last three months I have basically tried to make up for everything I hadn't tried yet and have since tried stouts, imperial stouts, porters, IPAs, IIPAs, barleywines, strong ales, dubbels, tripels, and maybe a few other styles that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Here's the thing: the only beer I haven't liked was the tripel. I got Dragonmead's Final Absolution. I originally thought it was too sweet. However, I tried and loved SN Bigfoot barleywine which was not nearly as sweet as I thought it would be.

After that, I looked up the BJCP style guidelines for tripels which says
Strongly resembles a Strong Golden Ale but slightly darker and somewhat fuller-bodied. Usually has a more rounded malt flavor but should not be sweet.

Am I perceiving sweetness because of the lower IBUs in a tripel vs. a barleywine? Or is dragonmead's tripel a sweeter version? Either way, is there a tripel that is drier or has higher IBUs that I might like? Are there other Beglian styles that might be more to my liking?

Also, while I'm posting this, are there any styles that I didn't mention that I should try? I'd especially like to try ales because I can make those. I'm not planning on lagering in the near future. FWIW my favorites so far have probably been Hopslam, Founder's Imperial Stout, and SN Bigfoot.

I haven't had the Dragonmead tripel. The classic triple, which is readily available, is Westmalle. Most of the American triples I have had were sweeter than a trappiste version.

Chimay White (Cinq Cents) is also widely available. The version I had last night was quite dry and a very good beer.

Back