Question on Batch Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan810cows

Reaction score
So I'm going to be brewing my first 5-Gallon extract (Chinook IPA) batch this Sunday in my e-keggle. I have been going through all the steps in my head for the past few days. One thing I'm confused on is how much actual volume of wort I put into The fermenter. I'm not worried about blow off because I have a 7.3 gallon fermenter. I would like to get the most amount of beers out of it but also don't want to subject low quality beer.

Here is my first plan:
- steep specialty grains in 1 gallon of water pot
- heat up half a gallon of water in a different pot to pour over/rinse specialty grains.
- begin heating up 5 gallons of water in keggle
- and all specialty grain water to Keggle
- Bring to boil
- add LME and DME
- add hops according to recipe (I will add all hops in recipe even though it's meant for a partial boil. I don't mind it being a little extra hoppy!!
- when 60 min is up, begin recirc through pump-CFC (with full flow and full flow cooling water) into keggle
- once down to about 70 to 80°, shut everything down and let things settle for about 30 minutes.
- transfer from keggle (I have a side pick up tube about 3-4 inches from center) to primary fermenter.
- oxygenate wort with Wond.

So my question is, do I stop filling the fermenter at exactly 5 gallons or should I put in additional wort to compensate for later transfer to secondary and dry hopping? I just don't know if I should do something like 5.25 gallons or not.

So I'm going to be brewing my first 5-Gallon extract (Chinook IPA) batch this Sunday in my e-keggle. I have been going through all the steps in my head for the past few days. One thing I'm confused on is how much actual volume of wort I put into The fermenter. I'm not worried about blow off because I have a 7.3 gallon fermenter. I would like to get the most amount of beers out of it but also don't want to subject low quality beer.

Here is my first plan:
- steep specialty grains in 1 gallon of water pot
- heat up half a gallon of water in a different pot to pour over/rinse specialty grains.
- begin heating up 5 gallons of water in keggle
- and all specialty grain water to Keggle
- Bring to boil
- add LME and DME
- add hops according to recipe (I will add all hops in recipe even though it's meant for a partial boil. I don't mind it being a little extra hoppy!!
- when 60 min is up, begin recirc through pump-CFC (with full flow and full flow cooling water) into keggle
- once down to about 70 to 80°, shut everything down and let things settle for about 30 minutes.
- transfer from keggle (I have a side pick up tube about 3-4 inches from center) to primary fermenter.
- oxygenate wort with Wond.

So my question is, do I stop filling the fermenter at exactly 5 gallons or should I put in additional wort to compensate for later transfer to secondary and dry hopping? I just don't know if I should do something like 5.25 gallons or not.

First things first, you missed a step. You are going to need yeast to make this beer lol. In all seriousness don't over think it to much and have a good time. Your process sounds solid, now with that being said if you have 6 gallons of water 5 of water plus the 1 gallon your grain steeped after the boil you might only have 5ish gallons left b/c of evaporation so just pour the whole thing in there 7 gallon is plenty of head space. Also you don't want TOO much head space either its easier for oxidation to occur. But again...don't stress it have fun clean everything and make some beer. Don't stop at he exact 5 gallon mark if you have more tasty beer to add.

If you're aiming for 5 actual gallons of beer in your keg/bottles you should plan on putting at least 5.5 gal into your fermenter. I'd even maybe go 5.75 depending on if you're planning on dry hopping or not. You are def going to lose volume from racking, trub loss etc, so if you want 3, 5, 10 whatever gallons, probably best to plan to ferment 1 gal more than you actually need.

If this is a pre-made kit, it is designed to have 5 gallons in the fermenter, unless the directions state specifically there should be more. If you put more water in to bring up the volume , then you will not match the gravity for the start and you may end up with a thin or watery tasting beer. This can, also, through off you hop bittering and flavor. Working in a LHBS, I've had this conversation multiple times. If you are doing a kit, follow the instructions for times and volumes during the boil and in to the fermenter. Ditch the instructions for using secondary unless you are adding fruit of oak chips/cubes. If you are not planning on reusing the yeast, just dry hop in the same fermenter after the gravity has been stable for 2 days. Less to clean up and you will be closer to the kits final numbers.

Once you start making your own recipes, then start working on getting 5 to 5.25 gallons after allowance for trub, yeast, fruit, etc. Recipes in Jamil's book I believe are actually designed for 6 gallons in to the fermenter.

Are you using a kit or do you have a recipe designed for X volume? If it is a kit I would brew it to the volume it is designed for. As far as how much to start with you have to determine your boil off or compensate with top up water. My setup loses about 2 gallons per hour so I need 7.3 gallons preboil to end up with a little over 5 gallons in the fermenter and 5 gallons finished.

If you make more wort than the recipe/kit was designed for your beer will be thinner/weaker. But if you are looking to put 5.25 gallons into the fermenter to end up with a full 5 gallons of finished beer that should not make too much of a difference.

LOL! YEP! Need yeast.... I guess....

As for water downed beer.. I don't want that.. So i will do some more thinking.. I'm very excited about me first batch! I've been building and planing for 7 months!

I hope that I get MOST of the trub/hot break/cold break out during the brew..

If I brew to much wort, can I save whatever is left over after the 5 gal mark? Maybe for a starter? Not sure how to do that yet but it's on my list. I know I'm putting in 2 smack pack 1056's in the batch.

If you ferment exactly 5 gallons you're going to bottle about 4.4-4.6 gallons actual. The kit is probably set up to ferment exactly 5 gallons so yeah, not ideal if you want to drink 5 gallons. Cali mouse is correct, follow the instructions that came with your kit you don't want to water down your beer trying to get to a certain volume. Take a look at the recipe section on this great website and I bet you'll find something that gets you an actual 5 gallons of beer and you won't have to worry about watering down your brew to do it.

Edit to add you're going to have more trub in your fermenter after your yeast are done doing their thing, and that's going to take away from the volume you're going to get. That process has nothing to do with how much hot or cold break you remove from your wort prior to pitching, it's the natural end product of a healthy yeast fermentation.

Thanks guys! This site has been great for me! I've learned TONS and you all are great!

Yes, it's the Norther Brewer Chinook IPA with specialty grain extract kit.

I'll start off 6.5 as my pre-boil and see how it goes. I'll only put in 5 gallons into the fermenter then too. I'll just keep my fingers crossed I don't make too much wort and make it to watered down.

Also, I tried messing around with beer smith and it says I should do a starter or 2 yeast liquid packs. I only bought one and don't have a starter setup yet. Should I buy another smack pack at the LHBS?

LOL! YEP! Need yeast.... I guess....

As for water downed beer.. I don't want that.. So i will do some more thinking.. I'm very excited about me first batch! I've been building and planing for 7 months!

I hope that I get MOST of the trub/hot break/cold break out during the brew..

If I brew to much wort, can I save whatever is left over after the 5 gal mark? Maybe for a starter? Not sure how to do that yet but it's on my list. I know I'm putting in 2 smack pack 1056's in the batch.

1 pack of yeast will be plenty for a 5 gallon brew, you don't want to over pitch it can cause off flavors and its an unnecessary expense.

So I ended up making a starter! I used Mr. Maulty! Worked well! Started bubbling within about 1 hour in the fermenter!

IT'S BUBBLING!!

So my question is, i'm currently fermenting at about 60deg room temp and about 62deg in the fermenter. Is this too low of a temp? It started fermenting 12-20-15 around 4pm.

It's bubbling about every 2-3 sec. as of this morning.

IMG_9865.jpg

IMG_9870.jpg

IMG_9872.jpg

IMG_9880.jpg

IMG_9883.jpg

Speidels hold temp well. Idk the temp rage of your yeast but 60 ambient is fine. Once it starts ripping you may get near 70 in the fermenter at peak. I would recommend warming it for a couple of days near the end to make sure it finishes and the yeast clean up
Also, those little black rubbery tap nozel covers work great on the speidel spigots.

I'll put a heating pad on it around day 5 (is that too soon?) to heat it up a bit. Thanks for the advise!

LOVE the tap nozel idea too!! I'm getting some!!

EDIT:
I'm using Wyeast 1056 American Ale. According to Norther Brewer, it's range it 60deg to 72deg.

Last edited:
So today is day seven on my primary. I've been holding strong at about 64 to 65°. Being that this is my first batch, not sure what a good temperature schedule should be. Should I keep it about this temperature for one more week then transfer to secondary where I will add dry hops? Or do I need to bring up the temp a little bit. My airlock is still going, but it has slowed significantly.

Don't worry about a secondary. You can dry hop in primary
Take a gravity reading in another week or so. Then again in two more days. If you get the same, it's done. Warm it up if you want and dry hop.

With a 7-gallon carboy, I'd put however much wort you end up with in the fermentor. However, you can totally save it, for making starters or even for cooking with. IDK much about making starters, but if you use it for cooking, make sure to taste it first, as wort is very sweet!

Back