question on amount of malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crown_cres

Reaction score
hi there i live in Canada and all the bulk unhoped malt extract is sold by the litre and not by the pound and all my beer recipes call for it by the pound. i was looking on norther brewer and 6 pounds look's like our 2 litre milk jugs but i am not shure if someone can help me that would be great

you cannot directly convert liters to pounds without knowing the density of a substance. Once you know the substances density than it is a matter of conversion using like units from the density.

Kayos said:
1 liter = 2.2 pounds. 2.2 Kg = 1 lb. I think this is what you are asking....?

1KG = 2.2lbs however 1L would only be 2.2lbs if you were measuring something with the same density as water; it all depends on the substance. OP you can order DME and use 80% of what your recipe calls for in terms of LME (DME is more concentrated).

If you are ordering online, try Paddockwood as they have excellent selection.

bradsul said:
1KG = 2.2lbs however 1L would only be 2.2lbs if you were measuring something with the same density as water; it all depends on the substance. OP you can order DME and use 80% of what your recipe calls for in terms of LME (DME is more concentrated).
LME is likely to be just a bit heavier than water. Start by assuming that LME is roughly 2.5 lbs / liter. Order just a bit more than you need based on that assumption, then get yourself a scale that measures lbs (postal scales are pretty cheap, even the digital ones). Weigh the amount that you need, and take note of the conversion factor so you can order accurately next time.

Or just use DME and the 80% rule as mentioned before...

6 pounds of LME is right around 1/2 gallon. Which is a little less than 2L comma so one liter would be about 3 pounds.

At least thats what the guy at my LHBS sells as 6 pounds.:rolleyes:

If you're ever in the Vancouver area, drop into Dan's Homebrew Supplies on Hastings; he sells LME by the pound. I haven't tried ordering anything from him online, but his website http://www.beermaking.ca/ says that he'll ship.

crown_cres said:
hi there i live in Canada and all the bulk unhoped malt extract is sold by the litre and not by the pound and all my beer recipes call for it by the pound. i was looking on norther brewer and 6 pounds look's like our 2 litre milk jugs but i am not shure if someone can help me that would be great

Hey Crown -- what type of extract are you speaking about? Unhopped liquid malt extract is actually difficult to find here in Canada (most LHBS only sell those no-boil, pre-hopped wort kits). I am curious to know what you are using exactly.

At my LHBS, we sell 6.6 LBS of LME in a 1/2 gallon container, and it almost fills it up. We can get 7 LBS in, but it is almost full to the point of running over. We can comfortably get 13 pounds in a 1 gallon container, and 14 if we push it.
That is using Breiss bulk pale LME.

steve

A liter is 33.8 ounces. 1 pound of liquid malt extract is 10.66 oz. 33.8 divided by 10.66 = 3.1707317 pounds of extract.

32 oz = 1 quart = 3 lbs of LME
64 oz = 1/2 gallon = 6 lbs of LME
128 oz = 1 gallon = 12 lbs of LME

i buy all my unhoped malt at home brew and home vin shop's here in the okanogan they all seem to have bulk bins and all shop's are very happy to sell to me as long as you bring your own container.

crown_cres said:
...as long as you bring your own container.

Same policy we have, or we can sell you a container for a small amount less than the owner can buy them for. Our bulk malt is $2.69 a pound, and the guy down the street sells it for $3.99 a pound. (But, he gives free containers!)

steve

well as for the price i am buying the malt for $10.80 for 2 litres that works out to be $1.80 a pound or less depends what you go buy if staight up 6 pounds then $1.80 if you go by 6.6 pounds to a 2 litre jug the $1.63 i am happy with the price

Back