Question on adding hops at end of boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrFubar

Reaction score
I brewed my first IPA recently. It is now in the keg and carbonated. I think it came out great. The recipe called for adding hops to the boil twice and then adding hops at fifteen minutes before the end and then at the end. My question is about the end hopping. The way I did it was I added the final hop right after I took the mixture off the stove. I added the "end" hopping by putting the bag in the wort as I was cooling it. This took about 20mins to cool in my sink with an ice bath.. When it was cool and ready to transfer to my bucket I pulled the final hop and tossed it. Was this the correct method for adding the final hops?

Thanks,
Don

I brewed my first IPA recently. It is now in the keg and carbonated. I think it came out great. The recipe called for adding hops to the boil twice and then adding hops at fifteen minutes before the end and then at the end. My question is about the end hopping. The way I did it was I added the final hop right after I took the mixture off the stove. I added the "end" hopping by putting the bag in the wort as I was cooling it. This took about 20mins to cool in my sink with an ice bath.. When it was cool and ready to transfer to my bucket I pulled the final hop and tossed it. Was this the correct method for adding the final hops?

Thanks,
Don

Yes, that sounds right. I always leave mine in until cooled using my counter flow. I usually end dry hopping too.

Hop additions for the end are intended for the end of the boil. In other words, at flame out. Not after it starts cooling. It needs the hot wort to get it going before cooling. It's an aroma addition.

Hop additions for the end are intended for the end of the boil. In other words, at flame out. Not after it starts cooling. It needs the hot wort to get it going before cooling. It's an aroma addition.

Not arguing at all, but both flameout and dry hop additions are meant to add aroma. Does it add aroma a different way at 212 vs say 200? (Vs 60 for a dry hop?) It needs to be below boiling to avoid isomerization of alpha acids (the process that increases bittering) and to avoid driving off volatile aroma compounds (which is why bittering additions don't add aroma).

I guess my questions are more for the community than any one specific person, but I'm curious if one could avoid flameout hops in favor of dry hopping or vice versa. Funny that I never thought of this until this thread. My guess is that there are multiple mechanisms at work, otherwise no commercial breweries would dry hop for timing reasons.

Now I'm just rambling and thinking out loud...so to speak.

Not arguing at all, but both flameout and dry hop additions are meant to add aroma. Does it add aroma a different way at 212 vs say 200? (Vs 60 for a dry hop?) It needs to be below boiling to avoid isomerization of alpha acids (the process that increases bittering) and to avoid driving off volatile aroma compounds (which is why bittering additions don't add aroma).

I guess my questions are more for the community than any one specific person, but I'm curious if one could avoid flameout hops in favor of dry hopping or vice versa. Funny that I never thought of this until this thread. My guess is that there are multiple mechanisms at work, otherwise no commercial breweries would dry hop for timing reasons.

Now I'm just rambling and thinking out loud...so to speak.

Flame out additions aren't in there for very long, so the heat at flame out is intended to soak them quicker to extract the lupulins. & bittering is from time in the kettle, not so much how hot it is. Although it does have to be boiling. That's why bittering additions go in @ 60 minutes. It takes that long to drive the flavor & aromas off to where only the bittering remains for the most part. But personally, I think dry hopping gets more aroma than flame out additions. It depends on the style of beer as to drt hop or flame out/last couple minutes of the boil.

Flameout and dry hopping get you slightly different results. Flameout hops are also in as long as you want to keep them there...some hold them in for 30+ minutes. The main differences are the temperature and pre/post fermentation timing. You can't exactly replace one with the other.

And for the record, isomerization happens well below 212F. Dry hopping adds aroma, flavor, and some bitterness. Bittering charges usually add some flavor, but it's often quite subtle.

Flameout and dry hopping get you slightly different results. Flameout hops are also in as long as you want to keep them there...some hold them in for 30+ minutes. The main differences are the temperature and pre/post fermentation timing. You can't exactly replace one with the other.

That's what I thought.

And for the record, isomerization happens well below 212F. Dry hopping adds aroma, flavor, and some bitterness. Bittering charges usually add some flavor, but it's often quite subtle.

Correct. I believe Isomerization occurs down to 180*F. This is why hop bursting is so popular in the larger craft breweries. They can add huge amounts of hops right after the boil to get the intense flavor and aroma and not dry hop. Essentially cutting as much as 7 days from the production schedule.

Back