Question on AAUs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwndabear

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for 1 oz of centennial 10%aau for 60 min. The centennial packet i have is new but i came across some fresh but opened saaz 3% and cascade 7%, 1/2 oz each. 60 minutes is just for bittering, so I can essentially use the opened packets of saaz and cascade hops and save myself a packet of centennial, right?

I have a recipe that calls for 1 oz of centennial 10%aau for 60 min. The centennial packet i have is new but i came across some fresh but opened saaz 3% and cascade 7%, 1/2 oz each. 60 minutes is just for bittering, so I can essentially use the opened packets of saaz and cascade hops and save myself a packet of centennial, right?

Well, yes. Except you'd need a lot more hops. the 3% saaz and 7% cascade aren't added together in AAUs. It's more like an average- so you're at about 5% AAUs with the 1 ounce of those. So you need lots more. (twice as much as you mentioned).

Really. I thought percentages were added. Glad I didn't do this! Thanks yoopa!

Really. I thought percentages were added. Glad I didn't do this! Thanks yoopa!

Yeah, AAUs are a function of alpha acid % times weight.

So in your case 1oz centennial @ 10% AA = 10 AAU

While 0.5oz saaz @ 3% AA = 1.5 AAU and 0.5oz cascade @ 7% AA = 3.5 AAU for a total of 5 AAU.

Back