Question - has anyone run into this new spear cap that blocks access to the spring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtbritt

Reaction score
I've been homebrewing for a while, and I keep a fleet of about 12 1/6th barrel sankes for my kegging purposes. Recently, I traded one in as I bought a keg of stuff from total wine, and figured I'd just use the new one to replace the trade in.

WELL.

I went to keg up a cider this morning, and lo-and-behold, there is some kind of cap on top of the spear that prevents getting access to the spring. Thus, you can't remove the spring, so you can't remove the spear, so my dumba$$ isn't going to be kegging a cider today. (This actually isn't true. I can go get another keg from the bar attic, clean it up, and get on with my day. But that's not NEARLY as dramatic sounding.)

Has anyone run into this before? Any way to pop the guard off?

1.jpg

2.jpg

Wreck

Well, I think the typical spring is still there. I just can't get to it because of this oddball cap. I took the little flat head I normally use to coax the spring out, and made a few attempts at sliding it between the cap and the rim of the spear, but it wasn't having any of that. Damndest thing I ever saw. I guess the beer co's decided they didn't want any more keg loss due to homebrewers 😂 I suppose I'll just throw this one in the bar attic until the next time I decide to buy a keg and need a trade in.

That's actually a fairly common style of sanke keg spear. You might try the technique shown in this video.
If it works, great, but I'm pretty sure there's a type of spear with that "ball" thingie that require all kinds of prying under the ball to release a hidden latch. Reference the second video...

Cheers!

Last edited:
That's actually a fairly common style of sanke keg spear. You might try the technique shown in this video.
If it works, great, but I'm pretty sure there's a type of spear with that "ball" thingie that require all kinds of prying under the ball to release a hidden latch. Reference the second video...

Cheers!

How have I never seen this before? I mean, I know I live a sheltered life in the bottom of a well accessible only by a cave entrance, but I've only ever seen the kind with the springs. This is perfect, thank you Day Trippr!

Wreck

This trick doesn't work on new sankey kegs. Not on s-type anyway. They've been tamper-proofed. Loosen the spear then wedge open with a screwdriver and attempt to flick the safety with a smaller screwdriver.
273F075F-8C34-424E-89C3-B6A9B00A55DA.jpeg

How did you get on here, @dtbritt? I just got a new one and, for some reason, it had the previous type (with an 'S' on each ear), which only requires some coins and a spear removal tool to disengage the safety and unscrew. Must have been old stock? Anyway, I forgot to mention the safety on the newer spears (with an 'S' on one ear) is directly beneath the ear stamped with the 'S'.

Back