Faucet questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garfield43

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to kegging. homebrewing and everything that goes with it.
I picked up a couple used jockey boxes that were put away dirty.
I have gotten one of the faucets off (I think it will take a couple of pipe wrenches to get the other 2 off. Faucet wrench couldn't budge 'em).

Should you change all the gaskets in a used (and dirty) tap or is a really good cleaning enough?
There is nearly no chrome left on the inside of the one tap I have managed to get off. Is that an actual problem?
I will be serving apple cider and I have read the brass can react with fruit based drinks.
Anyone use the Intertap forward sealing faucets? (or any of the other "cheaper than Perlick brands?)
If so how do you like them?
It is my understanding that there is nothing a flow control faucet does that you can't do with the proper length of hose (other than a FC is much easier to adjust). Is that correct?

These jockey boxes won't get used that much.
I am planning to try to get the 1 tap one up and running before summer.
I'm not in any hurry on the 2 tap one.
If bare brass is a problem, how long does it take chrome to wear away?
I haven't found a source for faucet gaskets yet.
I have seen generic chrome faucets for $15.
If it would take a while to eat away the chrome I may just slap one of them on.
For a home rig I am sold on forward sealing.
For a jockey box that will get run for a day or 2 at a time and maybe a few times a year, I think rear sealing would be OK.
You would want to start out with a clean faucet and unlike the previous owners of my rig you would want to clean it when you are done.
Nothing too disgusting should grow in there in a day or 2.

Anyone have a preferred cheap but good rear sealing tap to recommend?
I found this stainless steel one for $20.
Seriously considering slapping on on the jockey box I plan to use.
Anyone here have one?
https://www.amazon.com/MRbrew-Upgra...rd+sealing+beer+faucet&qid=1616710531&sr=8-28
I was asking about the Intertaps vs the Perlick forward sealers more for planning my "in the future dream kegerator".
Thanks for any answers, suggestions & advice!

Last edited:
I use intertaps . They work great , no issues . They even have a nitro adapter which is awesome on stouts , and pours a great cascade . I think they are good and wouldn't hesitate putting them on again.

Back