Question from a CheeseMaking Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheesyNewb

Reaction score
Hi everyone, thank you for allowing me to participate in this forum. I am new to cheese making, and have a question about my "ooops". I was making Ricotta, and only half paying attention, started heating the milk, added salt, then tossed in the rennet while the mild was still cold. Then said oops, and a few other words. As the milk heated, curds formed beatifully, and the taste was great. I have made quite a few batches of ricotta this way since. When I tried to make mozzarella this way ...... fail! All the curds did when I heated them was get hard. No stretching, no mozarella. I didn't add citric acid (because I am not fond of the taste). Do you think that was the problem, or part of it? Thoughts? Comments?

Sorry, can't comment on Ricotta.

But I think the rennet needs the milk to be acidified. If you don't like citric acid, you can use lemon juice. I've used both and didn't notice the difference.

I think it's the heat that forms the mozz, so maybe not enough heat?

I agree with PP. I think acidity it necessary for curd formation. When you add milk to some acidic things it will curdle. I think the same thing happens when making some cheeses.

I can't say much about the taste of citric acid. I can't taste it when I am eating mozz, but I have heard of others substituting with lemon juice, as PP says, with no noticeable difference (lemon juice is essentially citric acid I think).

If you didn't add citric acid you will need to add a culture to do it the long way..

Bottom line is the curds need to reach at least PH of 5.1 to 5.2 acidity before you drain for 5 minutes and use then use the microwave or water heated to 168f or so.......

using the citric acid will insure that you get to 5.1 and no waiting for the culture to kick in and do it....

Latest posts

Back