Question for new toy? magnetic drive pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockfordWhite

Reaction score
So for Christmas i got a magnetic drive pump, which i will use for recirculation and will eventually become a part of my herms setup...so the pump i got is already prewired to a plug, does anybody have any examples or pictures of them controlling the power of the pump with some sort of dial control?

For a mag drive pump normally you throttle the volume with a ball valve rather than mess with the power.

RockfordWhite said:
So for Christmas i got a magnetic drive pump, which i will use for recirculation and will eventually become a part of my herms setup...so the pump i got is already prewired to a plug, does anybody have any examples or pictures of them controlling the power of the pump with some sort of dial control?
No pics here, but you could use a reastat to control an outlet. You could mount both of them in the same 4sq. box wire, and wire it to a piece of extension cord. Then you'd have a extension cord that would have a variable voltage, that you could use to power any small motor, or light.

Or you could search for 'router speed control' on google, and use something like that.

Be careful either way. Some motors don't like either of these set ups.

Jesse17 said:
Be careful either way. Some motors don't like either of these set ups.
In particular, mag drive pumps don't "like these setups." Like bill says above, use a flow control valve on the outlet side. That's what a mag drive pump is made for.

Latest posts

Back