Question - Double 1 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucegodin

Reaction score
I just did a double 1 gallon batch and stupidly didn’t strain into a separate pot but instead strained it directly into 2 - 1 gallon jugs. The problem is that the second jug got a lot more of the hop residue from the bottom of the pot and is an obvious different color.

I am worried that the one jug will be way hoppier (not that bad honestly, I love hops!)

The yeast has already been pitched.

Can I (or should I of) mix them and put them back in the 1 gallon jugs again? Or is it too late now that the yeast has been pitch and too much risk of contamination etc.

Thanks

I just did a double 1 gallon batch and stupidly didn’t strain into a separate pot but instead strained it directly into 2 - 1 gallon jugs. The problem is that the second jug got a lot more of the hop residue from the bottom of the pot and is an obvious different color.

I am worried that the one jug will be way hoppier (not that bad honestly, I love hops!)

The yeast has already been pitched.

Can I (or should I of) mix them and put them back in the 1 gallon jugs again? Or is it too late now that the yeast has been pitch and too much risk of contamination etc.

Thanks

Or next time you could pick up a 2 gal bucked and cover from HD. I use them all the time.

Or next time you could pick up a 2 gal bucked and cover from HD. I use them all the time.

This will work as will a bigger bucket. I ferment 2 1/2 gallon batches in either a 5 gallon or 6 1/2 gallon fermenter. Walmart has 5 gallon white HDPE buckets with lids pretty cheap. You can drill the lid for an airlock, drill a smaller hole and cover it with plastic (also an airlock but one that doesn't bubble) or just set the lid on loosely.:rockin:

Back