Question: Brewing with only Hopped Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onyxhawk

Reaction score
Hi, all.

I brew only small extract batches with a Mr. Beer fermenter.

The cost of a MB refill kit (two cans; one HME, one UME) is over $20 with shipping. This makes only two gallons. Obviously not entirely cost effective.

My question: Could I brew a stand-alone Hopped Extract, from another vendor?

In example, I'd like to brew a HME from Munton's (with no added fermentables). I want to use this extract alone, in equal measure to that of Mr. Beer's refill kits.

So, my recipe would be as simple as this:

Spring water
Munton's hopped malt extract
Yeast (preferably ale)

Would this actually work?

I'd really like to be able to brew on a tight budget. I'm not entirely new to brewing, so I'm familiar with gravities, pHs, abv and such.

Thank you in advance!
Onyxhawk

It would. But the larger cans are hopped for 23L of beer. Might be more bitter than you'd want.

It would work, but your probably better off buying a 3 pound bag of dried malt extract for $10 instead of liquid, just because you can save whatever portion you dont use for your next batch.

From there just do a basic 1gal boil with .5oz of boiling hops at the start and .5oz of finishing hops right before the end. I promise you that the taste and smell will be a lot crisper than pre hopped extract is.

You probably wont be able to find .5oz baggies of hops, but at $1.50 for a 1oz bag it's not a big deal even if they go bad before you make your next batch.

Depending on exactly what strain of yeast you buy your looking at $10-15 a batch depending on how much DME you use.

Back