Question about your CO2 prices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whelp everyone is getting screwed. I went to get my 5# tank filled again at my local fire extinguisher place and when he was done I said how much? Again he said eh don't worry about it, it's only $1 a pound it's not worth the paperwork. Now I'm sure he's talking his price, but I've definitely hit the honey hole. Might have to take these guys some homebrew.

I recently found a local welding supply shop while looking for gas. When I called for prices, the guy asked if I was okay with food grade since that is what he keeps in 5# and 20# tanks for local bars and restaurants :D I guess I can live with that. $5 and $10 respectively is what he charges for an exchange. He takes my tanks without even looking at them and gives me brand new looking ones. I'm pretty happy about this place, and it is across the highway from where my wife works. I mentioned that, and he said that if she brought them, he would be happy to unload and load the tanks for her. I think I found my gas supply.

In the middle of nowhere Indiana where i live, a 5# tank swap costs $13 at the local welding supply place.

I'll second that, I'm in nowhere Michigan and a 5# tank swap costs me $13-15 at the local welding supply place.

No sure why the price varies, seems to change with his mood that day. :tank:

I've heard any place that has paintball equipment like sporting goods stores can fill or exchange tanks also. Haven't looked into it yet but am about to. Ready to fill my very first keg.

I've heard any place that has paintball equipment like sporting goods stores can fill or exchange tanks also. Haven't looked into it yet but am about to. Ready to fill my very first keg.

They generally only refill paintball tanks. If you find one that does happen to fill larger tanks, I doubt it would be cheap.

$15.22 for a 5# fill at a local welding shop that has a lot of gasses on hand. That is after tax and fees. I'll keep using them, since they are just down the road from work! I only bought a new tank with my keg set up because I knew they fill on site, and are very close to work...

I just paid 30 dollars plus tax at Airgas for a 20LB cylinder.

See, this is what grinds my gears. Mind me asking what state you're located in? Airgas charged me over $20 for a 5# cylinder a couple months back.

ETA: I know bigger cylinders are cheaper.

See, this is what grinds my gears. Mind me asking what state you're located in? Airgas charged me over $20 for a 5# cylinder a couple months back.

ETA: I know bigger cylinders are cheaper.

I had it filled in Gainesville, FL. I love having the bigger cylinders.

None of the welding places near me will do it. They all refer me to where they get theirs filled which is a 30 minute drive to Holston Gas. Not sure about the prices, they were closed when I called. I'll update when I find out.

Update: $16.39 total to fill my 5lbs cylinder at Holston Gas in Knoxville, TN.

just filled up two 5 lb tanks for the first time at the fire protection place near me. $10 total and that included tax. plus the guy threw in a couple fiber washers for the regulators.

A person would do well to get a 20lb bottle, it's easy to find a place to swap/fill them economically. Not to mention with the 5lbs your constantly having to get a fill or swap.

At my local Airgas they have always jerked me around on filling/swapping 5lbs, 14-21 bucks. But they'll fill a 20 lb for just a little over 20.

I can fill a 5# at a fire extinguisher place for about $10. Only did that once as their location and business hours kind of suck.

Then I discovered a paintball place just down the road from me that will fill 5# tanks for $20 cash (he charges slightly more if using debit/credit card). Best part is he's open all weekend long. Comes in handy many times when I had to get a tank filled on a Saturday.

A person would do well to get a 20lb bottle, it's easy to find a place to swap/fill them economically. Not to mention with the 5lbs your constantly having to get a fill or swap.

At my local Airgas they have always jerked me around on filling/swapping 5lbs, 14-21 bucks. But they'll fill a 20 lb for just a little over 20.

i initially bought two #5 cylinders since i got them for a steal and the place by me charges by the pound regardless of vessel size. i figure i may need to stop in more often for refills but have started rethinking this, sounds like it will eventually be a hassle. i'm thinking of getting a #15 or #20 tank for my keezer and using one of the #5 tanks in my brew area for purging kegs and racking/transferring, also for transport if i want to take a keg somewhere. the second #5 tank would be my emergency spare if either of the other tanks goes empty.

Going to get a refill/exchange today, I'll be sure to report back. Going back to Praxair today to see how much difference the price is from the last time I was there.

My LHBS will refill 5# tanks for $15. If your hydro test is out of date they'll swap it out for a recently-tested cylinder for $10. Great deal and great service.

Here in Pittsburgh I found a place that does tank exchanges for my 20# for around $15. other places that do filling always seem to be way more expensive, and this place seems to go out of it's way to give you like to like. You bring Aluminum they give back aluminum, etc.

Where/what place if you don't mind?

I paid about $20 to refill a 20# last time. Closest LHBS charges that much for a 5# exchange, and they'll hit you for almost $20 for a hydrostat test. Last time i exchanged a tank that was within a month of needing to be tested, for a tank that was just retested so it was worth it. So i've got at least 5 years on that tank now. The 20# is out of date but will probably last me a couple years.

I am in the market for another tank now though. I've got a 5# i use for serving only, and a 20# i use for racking, cleaning, purging, carbonating, etc. But i hate disconnecting all the hoses to use the 20#. Think i'm going to buy another 20# just to have sitting around. Trying to save my back too. Lifting in and out of a chest freezer is brutal on the vertebrae.

Just got my 5# tank filled at Airgas. Cost was $24.33 before tax ($26.28 after tax).

I did find one thing interesting...while ringing me up the guy made a casual comment about how the CO2 must be coming from somewhere else because the cost had gone up. I laughed and mentioned to him how I pay something different every time I come in it seems. He stated that they have a plant in Augusta, GA (reference: I'm in SC, about an hour and change from Augusta) that they manufacture their CO2 at. But if they have to get it from somewhere else, the midwest for example, the cost goes up. So frustrating.

Not to mention I now have to figure out why I'm leaking gas at the connection of the regulator to the tank. It was fine two days ago...:mad:

Where/what place if you don't mind?

Yeah, it is West Penn Lacco the Welding Supply stores. There are a few locations in the Burgh, they are quick and cheap. Last time I was there they just switched out the gas tank, charged me next to nothing and I was on my way.

Just got my 5# tank filled at Airgas. Cost was $24.33 before tax ($26.28 after tax).

I did find one thing interesting...while ringing me up the guy made a casual comment about how the CO2 must be coming from somewhere else because the cost had gone up. I laughed and mentioned to him how I pay something different every time I come in it seems. He stated that they have a plant in Augusta, GA (reference: I'm in SC, about an hour and change from Augusta) that they manufacture their CO2 at. But if they have to get it from somewhere else, the midwest for example, the cost goes up. So frustrating.

Not to mention I now have to figure out why I'm leaking gas at the connection of the regulator to the tank. It was fine two days ago...:mad:

I am about an hour away from TravelingLight in Florence SC. The numbers he used for a 5# CO2 exchange at AirGas were identical to the numbers I paid at AirGas Florence on my last visit. Almost $27 is a chunk of change to pay for that volume of gas. So I called Praxair (around the corner from AirGas) and they quoted me $17 out the door. That is more like it, so on my next exchange, I'll use them.

I am about an hour away from TravelingLight in Florence SC. The numbers he used for a 5# CO2 exchange at AirGas were identical to the numbers I paid at AirGas Florence on my last visit. Almost $27 is a chunk of change to pay for that volume of gas. So I called Praxair (around the corner from AirGas) and they quoted me $17 out the door. That is more like it, so on my next exchange, I'll use them.
The Praxair in Columbia?? I got a tank from them May 6, 2016, $19.99 before tax, $21.59 with tax. :confused:

I think I pay 24$ to swap out my 20#
But I have three of them so I am not at the air place often
I prefer swapping never have to worry about expiration on hydro
And they take and give whatever size I ask them for

Yeah, it is West Penn Lacco the Welding Supply stores. There are a few locations in the Burgh, they are quick and cheap. Last time I was there they just switched out the gas tank, charged me next to nothing and I was on my way.

Thank you!

I paid $28 last time I got filled and now my hydro-test is expired. Both make me get over having a nice shiny tank in favor of one that is cheap to exchange and not expired.

Thought the washer might be getting worn so I replaced it. Then I realized gas was escaping from the tank essentially at the base of the main turn valve on top. I'm taking the tank back today to switch it out.

The valve needs to be completely open or completely shut to have a good seal. If it's only halfway open youll most likely leak gas.

after eight years of no price changes, local place upped their cost:

5 lb - $7 ($1.40/lb)
10 lb - $13 ($1.30/lb)
15 lb - $18 ($1.20/lb)
20 lb - $25 ($1.25/lb)

I'll bite. How is $1.86/lb for 10lbs $13? Wouldn't it be $18.60 or $1.30/lb?

the answer is 'i'm a dummy'. post fixed.

sort of dumb that it jumps up again at 20 lbs. $23 to fill a 20 pounder makes more sense. but dude filling my 20 lb tank today wasn't paying attention and ended up putting 21 lbs in so i got it for $1.19/lb.

Tacoma WA CO2 tank exchange seems to be $15 for a 5# or $20ish for a 20# from the welding guys. Beer gas is closer to 30 regardless of the size tank you swap.

Wake county NC, only checked my LHBS places so far. One does refills $13 for a 5lb $30 for a 20lb. Another place does exchanges $20 for either 5 or 20lb works out pretty well if i can find a 20lb tank. Need to call and check local beer distributors, firehouses and welding shops as mentioned in this thread.

Anyone have any ideas on where to find cheap 20lb tanks? Can never find anything on craigslist and online or at my LHBS its like $140 for a new tank. I was thinking of asking any shops that do exchanges if i could exchange my 5lb for a 20lb and pay the difference :D

Wake county NC, only checked my LHBS places so far. One does refills $13 for a 5lb $30 for a 20lb. Another place does exchanges $20 for either 5 or 20lb works out pretty well if i can find a 20lb tank. Need to call and check local beer distributors, firehouses and welding shops as mentioned in this thread.

Anyone have any ideas on where to find cheap 20lb tanks? Can never find anything on craigslist and online or at my LHBS its like $140 for a new tank. I was thinking of asking any shops that do exchanges if i could exchange my 5lb for a 20lb and pay the difference :D

Check out the sponsor showcase forum. There's a guy that sells used tanks cheaper than anywhere else I've seen for 20 pounders.

Back