Question about Yooper's Apple Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaraG

Reaction score
1 gal. fresh or bottled apple juice or cider
1.25 pounds granulated sugar (more or less to bring s.g. to 1.095)
1 tsp acid blend
1 2/3 tsp pectic enzyme
1 crushed campden tablet
1/4 to 1/2 tsp tannin
1 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
wine yeast (champagne is good)

In primary, stir sugar into juice until dissolved. (mix a little less at first, check s.g. and add the rest if you need to- some juices are naturally sweeter than others). Add acid blend, 1/4 tsp tannin, yeast nutrient and crushed campden tablet. Stir well, cover and let sit for 12 hours. Stir in pectic enzyme and recover primary. After an additional 12 hours, add activated yeast and cover primary loosely. Stir daily for 10 days, then recover. Taste to determine tannin adequacy. If not adequate, stir in an additional 1/8 tsp tannin and set aside four hours. Taste again to determine if an additional 1/8 tsp tannin is required. When satisfied, rack into secondary and fit airlock. Any additional wine can be poured into a smaller bottle with an airlock and can be used for topping up later. Rack, top up, and refit airlock every 60 days for 6 months. Stabilize, sweeten if desired, and wait two weeks. Rack into bottles and set aside one year. (Jack keller recipe)

(Mine finished at .992 so after I stabilized, I sweetened to 1.000)

I'm so overwhelmed by apple wine threads, so I'm sorry if this was answered somewhere else but I didn't see it. The thread I quoted here has Yooper's apple wine recipe, which has received rave reviews, so I'd like to make it, but I haven't made wine without it being a kit before, so I have a question about scaling the recipe.

I know when scaling recipes not everything gets scaled the same (for example, obviously only one packet of wine yeast, not five packets for five gallons). If I wanted to scale this recipe to make a five gallon batch (and actually, I think I'd like to start with a six gallon batch so I can reserve some for topping up), what gets scaled and what doesn't? The tannin is based on personal preference, right? And the yeast nutrient probably doesn't get scaled either? I feel like a newb here, but I've only followed kit recipes and everything was provided, so I didn't have to think, lol.

Thank you for the advice!

I'm so overwhelmed by apple wine threads, so I'm sorry if this was answered somewhere else but I didn't see it. The thread I quoted here has Yooper's apple wine recipe, which has received rave reviews, so I'd like to make it, but I haven't made wine without it being a kit before, so I have a question about scaling the recipe.

I know when scaling recipes not everything gets scaled the same (for example, obviously only one packet of wine yeast, not five packets for five gallons). If I wanted to scale this recipe to make a five gallon batch (and actually, I think I'd like to start with a six gallon batch so I can reserve some for topping up), what gets scaled and what doesn't? The tannin is based on personal preference, right? And the yeast nutrient probably doesn't get scaled either? I feel like a newb here, but I've only followed kit recipes and everything was provided, so I didn't have to think, lol.

Thank you for the advice!

You can scale everything, except for yeast- 1 package is good for up to 6 gallons.

Latest posts

Back