Question about using a flask on an electric stove

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly

Reaction score
Some time ago I bought a 5000mL Erlenmeyer Flask. I have been using it on a propane cooking stove but would like to use it on an electric stove top.

Can I simply place the flask on the burner, or, should I place one of those wire separators one gets with a Melitta coffee maker to set between the flask and burner?

Some time ago I bought a 5000mL Erlenmeyer Flask. I have been using it on a propane cooking stove but would like to use it on an electric stove top.

Can I simply place the flask on the burner, or, should I place one of those wire separators one gets with a Melitta coffee maker to set between the flask and burner?

I use a trivet, like you describe, with mine. No problems.

Borosilicate glass is tough, but I wouldnt use it directly on an electric stove. Water bath or trivet is the way to go.

I have used these on an electric coil stove without problems. I didn't crank it up too high though. I took it easy and gradually raised the heat. An electric smooth glass stove top would probably be about as safe as you can get.

I think to be safe I will use that wire trivet. Thanks all for the response. I will post back if I have a problem. Of course, only after I clean up the wort. :)

I set mine down in a cast iron skillet. It seems to work ok for me, and has the added bonus of catching any boil-over.

Back