Question about the late addition of yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernie Diamond

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I'm new to the site, new to brewing, new to all-grain and kegging, new all-around so I look forward to having many many questions answered down the line.

I just started an all-grain Belgian Dubbel (beer #4) and am thrilled that I hit all my numbers for efficiency, OG, etc.

Here's where I am worried about things going wrong; The beer is three days old in my primary fermenter and I rethinking the yeast strain that I used (as in, not the one I selected). In addition, I only pitched a single batch where most of what I have read suggests having pitched a double (or even triple) batch.

So here's my question; can I or should I pitch another batch of yeast? The fermentation has slowed (I think because temp is on the low side, around 67 degrees). If I should, should I pitch the same strain? We're talking Wyeast 1762 as the one I used and Wyeast 3787 as the one I would have liked to have used.

Make sense?

Best and thanks.

I think you'll find that after 3 days it should probably be done fermenting. Adding a second strain will do little if anything.

Have you taken gravity readings?

I took my first reading so I will have a sense where it's going and when it gets there.

How often do you suggest taking readings?

Once at the start, once when you think it's done.
One day later if you are not sure.

If it's hit the target or there abouts then go one to the next stage.
It's only critical if you bottle at too high a gravity and it's not finished. (BOOM)
Take the readings and we (you) will have more of an idea what to do.

orfy said:
I think you'll find that after 3 days it should probably be done fermenting. Adding a second strain will do little if anything.

Have you taken gravity readings?

You seriously think a belgian dubbel will only take 3 days to ferment out with a liquid strain with no starter and at 67 F?

My last belgian dubbel took 3 weeks + to finish fermenting.

Ernie Diamond said:
So here's my question; can I or should I pitch another batch of yeast? The fermentation has slowed (I think because temp is on the low side, around 67 degrees). If I should, should I pitch the same strain? We're talking Wyeast 1762 as the one I used and Wyeast 3787 as the one I would have liked to have used.

Won't hurt anything, and you may find that it will add to the complexity of the beer. I think the first strain that you pitch will definitely dominate, but a second strain (especially if you make a starter) should add to the beer and help fermentation along. Also, you should get the temp up on that dubbel, at 67F it's definitely at the lower end of the spectrum for those two yeasts, and more of the flavors you're looking for in a dubbel will come at the mid-to-upper levels of the temp range.

If it won't hurt, I think I would feel better pitching a second strain.

My recipe suggested that it would take somewhere around 3-4 weeks in the primary fermenter so I'm thinking that it must be my temp that is slowing things down.

What do you think is the optimal temp? Somewhere in the mid-70's? Right now it is in a small room dedicated to brewing in my basement. Will a spaceheater be sufficient to bring the temp up or do I need to get a heating pad for the carboy?

Ernie Diamond said:
If it won't hurt, I think I would feel better pitching a second strain.

My recipe suggested that it would take somewhere around 3-4 weeks in the primary fermenter so I'm thinking that it must be my temp that is slowing things down.

What do you think is the optimal temp? Somewhere in the mid-70's? Right now it is in a small room dedicated to brewing in my basement. Will a spaceheater be sufficient to bring the temp up or do I need to get a heating pad for the carboy?

My dubbels take forever to ferment and then secondary, I wouldn't plan on bottling/kegging that beer for at least two months.

Both of the yeast strains you mentioned had fairly similar temp ranges, 65-78 (one was 65-75; the other 64-78) so I would shoot for around 72-74.

Back