Question about Temp Controlled Conical Fermenters...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, IF I was to buy a Temperature controlled Conical Fermenter. Besides being beheaded by SWMBO, I could theoretically do my Primary Fermentation in it, open the valve on the bottom, let out the Yeast once Primary is done, and then I could Lager right in the Conical sufficing that the Conical gets down to the desired temps. Sound about right?

Now that we are on the subject, what are the ups and downs of owning a Conical Fermentor?

Conical fermenters are great but some are made better than others.
You can harvest yeast and dump trub too.

www.Morebeer.com: Made well and can be purchased with external integrated cooling. Can only hold temperature 25-33F lower than ambient temperature.

IE: room temp = 70, conical = 37 to 45F
Not pressurizable.

Too expensive for the cooled models IMHO
---------------------------------
Blichmann:
  • No welds at all
  • Pressurizable to push out beer.
  • Has all stainless fittings and 3 peice ball valves
  • Rotatable racking arm

You must use a refrigerator or build your own fermentation chamber.
available at Williams Brewing supplies

This is what I have and I love it.........
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/27_GALLON_FERMENATOR_-_Free_D_P980C135.cfm

My brother has a conical (14.5 gal), all he did was build a "cabinent" to fit it in our of 2x4's and plywood, lined it with the styrofoam type insulation boards, and added a window airconditioner to cool it. With a temp controller bypassing the thermostat on the airconditioner, he can lagger with it.

I can't see any disadvantage of a conical other than the cost... the only reason I haven't gotten one yet, I can't justify spending $600+ just for the ease of dumping trub.

I can't justify spending $600+ just for the ease of dumping trub.

Well it is not just to dump trub. It eliminates unnecessary transfers, cleaning and lifting. No brewer would buy them if they did not have advantages.

Get the externally cooled one from morebeer. And then brag to us how bad ass it is.

Latest posts

Back