Question about stuff in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DudeBrew

Reaction score
Well I'm not sure if this is something to totally worry about but when we transferred into a secondary fermentation I think some yeast clumps got into our beer. I noticed a few small not even BB sized white clumps starting to float on the top. As well as I also noticed it floating throughout the beer. As the week has passed there has been more accumulating on the top but has slowed it seems. There is no film produced from it, just a coupling of white clump collection on the top and throughout the beer. Is this something to worry about? Can I filter this? and what is the best procedure for filtering it?. I don't think it's an infection. I'll work on trying to upload a picture.:confused:

It sounds like floccuated yeast- which I call "yeast clumpies". No worries at all. It'll eventually settle out, and you'll have clear beer before you know it.

No need to filter it, it will fall to the bottom as trub eventually.

Well I thought it would drop too but it's been two weeks and it hasn't moved, I think we might have gotten more yeast clumps in the beer than I really thought. If I wanted to filter it, what is the best course of action for such a task?

Racking to secondary frequently gets the yeast excited. I have never filtered a beer. Through the kidneys, yes, but not otherwise.

Don't worry about filtering it. It is not a problem. Let the yeast do its thing.

Here are two photos I took so you can guys can see what I'm talking about. I'm pretty sure you're all right, but just want to make sure:

Pic one

Pic two

Thanks for all the help, guys.

Back