Question about steeping grains and brew color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doliss

Reaction score
So my first two batches look quite darker than they should be. I wonder if while steeping the grain if I agitated the bag too much. Do y'all think this will be an issue for changing the taste of the finished product?

Do you do a partial boil or a full boil? Partial boils will carmelize faster than full boils, making the brew darker. If you can, add some of the LME or DME toward the end of the boil, too.

Give us some more information. Grains? Size of batch? Type of malt extract used? Partial boils tend to come out darker than expected becasue of the maillard reaction. The smaller volume allows more of the sugars to carmelize and this darkens the beer.

How much of what you steep can add color to beer,but not from how you handle them. It's most likely using too much extract in the boil. Late additions def make for lighter color & cleaner flavor. Particularly when it comes to LME. It darkens easier than DME does. And partial boils do not automatically come out darker by way of less volume. I've done partial boils all along,even with partial mash biab. And I brew light colored ales & such as well.

Both batches were one gal extract types. In not at home so I'd have to look up the specifics on the recipe but the only thing that was added after the beginning of the boil was a second hop addition as well as 2 oz of honey

I know the smaller batches tend to be darker due to the higher percentage of the wort in contact with the burner surface but the dark color seemed to already be there once I was done with the steeping before the boil began.

I started the steeping once the water hit around 100 F and just did 10 mins as it was heating up to a boil. Should it be done at lower temps?

Yes,never bring the grains up anywhere near a boil. You're steeping,not cooking them. 150-165F is a good range for a 30 minute steep. Just learn to hold the temp steady. And don't add any extract to the steep. That goes in aftarwards. What grains did you steep?

Not a clue. The kit didn't identify the type of grains. Just called them "steeping grains". The temp was probably the issue. I didn't let it get close to a boil when they were in, but they probably got over 160

The reason I asked is because even,say, crystal 60L can darken a beer. Or chocolate malt,roasted malt,etc are used to darken the color as well as add flavor.

Latest posts

Back