Question about "stabilization" temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigcountrybrew

Reaction score
Hey I am sure this has been clarified before, but I have been looking and have not found an answer yet. My recipe calls for beer to ferment in the primary at approx 67-70 degrees F. My question is this. Is that ambient temp or is that the temp of the beer? I know the temp in the fermenter can be as much as +10 degrees warmer than ambient due to the activity going on inside(go little yeasties go!!). So if I am doing an Ale, and I have my ambient temp set at around 68 degrees and the beer in the fermenter is around 75, is that too high? I just sampled my frist homebrew, a belgium white, and I liked the taste. So I am not too worried about it. I know as it conditions it will get better and better, but I wanted to get clarification none the less. Thanks in advance.
- Big Country

Boo Boo is right...it's the actual temperature of the fermenting beer. You'll want to do somehow get the temp down lower. You can do a swamp cooler, wrap the carboy with a wet towel, or get a fermentation chamber of some sort if you can.

Back