Question about splitting a batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derp

Reaction score
This weekend I'm going to brew a bitter and split it into two 5-gallon batches, fermenting them with to different yeasts (Timothy Taylor and Cullercoats) that I've received from Brewlab in the UK.

I typically whirlpool and let my 10-gallon batches of wort settle before filling the fermenter, but I was wondering if settling would stratify the wort and cause different gravity readings in each fermenter? Is it standard practice to stir everything up really well before splitting a batch of wort?

Clear wort isn't needed for clear beer. When you whirlpool your trub cone that you leave behind is mostly wort. Stir it all up, divide the wort into two fermenters and pitch the yeast. Evidence points to the yeast liking something about the trub and getting clearer beer from having it in the fermenter.

How do you transfer into your fermenter(s)? Would it be easy enough to transfer a few gallons to one fermenter, then swap between fermenters? I doubt that wort would get stratified, but it seems like this would help even out the wort between the two fermenters and ensure that all the last runnings of wort did not go into one of the fermenters.

Latest posts

Back