Question about sourcing Hop poles/posts for trellis system.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austinjs0102

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I have been playing with the idea of starting up a 2-3 acre hop farm. I currently own 15 acres of land in North Dakota but am having a really hard time sourcing the posts/poles for the trellis system. Anyone here know of places i should be looking or searching. I assume Minnesota would have a lot mills or areas to purchase them, but i am really at a loss of where to get them.

I'm trying to avoid old telephone posts as they contain so many chemicals and my aim is to try to find cedar or larch if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Unless you need really pretty poles, you can start with local tree cutting services and ask them if they know someone that deals in large volumes of debarked poles. I know a guy in WI that debarks a couple hundred trees every year for his hopyards and others. There also used to be an outfit out of S. Dakota. I'll try to find the name.

I have 9 acres of tamarack that is ready for harvest. Majority of the trees are 6" to 8". I'm a little too far away from your place though.

Back