Question about setting up sink for shop.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcooperpt

Reaction score
Hey guys. Although I have brewed a few indoor kitchen batches, I still consider myself fairly new to the brewing game. I am now starting to prepare my outside shop to be converted into the new brewing area between grad school classes. As I was writing down some of the things I need, I began to think about the need for a laundry tub. The only problem is there is not a water line in the shop. Does anyone know if there is such an adapter that I could use to attach a water hose from the house to the laundry tub? The laundry tub I am thinking about getting is one from ACE Hardware that runs about $67. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome! I hope you enjoy your time at HBT!

I never knew you needed an adapter. All the things like this I've ever seen don't come with a faucet, so there's nothing to adapt to.

I kid, I kid. (Kinda.)

The first step is to determine which faucet you're going to install, because you really can't arrive at a solution until you do that. Once you do determine the far ends of the plumbing, you can start planning the in-between bits. Solving that can be as complicated as you want. You can scour online sources, map your attack, and get in and out quickly, or you can do what I do - wander around the plumbing aisle of Lowe's or Home Depot and stare at things until an idea or solution springs fully formed into my mind. :D

Good luck!

Bob

Thank you very much for your help. I should have posted this link the first time when I asked the question:

Ace - Ace Tree: Home Goods: Laundry: Laundry Tubs: Utility Tub and Kit (101040)

As you can see, the tub already comes with a faucet assembly. I'm just wondering if an adapter is made to attach the water hose to the pipe. When it comes to anything related to woodworking, plumbing, or metal work, I am :confused: .

I'm sure if you just walk into ace and tell them what you need, the guy will hand you the piece you need. I'd bet lots of money that it would be pretty simple.
Now for the fun part. Do you already have a drain in your garage?

See I tried that at Lowe's and it was like I was talking to a parrot that repeated everything you said. I can't say the same about ACE just yet however since I haven't had the time to go up there just yet (exams next week). And no, regretfully there is no drainage system in the shop. However, I don't think it would be such a problem just to have a rubbermaid tub that it would empty into and just dump it out on the gravel when it gets full. What do you guys think?

I think it's doable.

I had an outside bar size sink in a pvc frame I used to use when I went camping. I just bought one of these garden hose quick connects and attached the female part to the cold water side of the sink, the male part to the water hose end and voila! (Make sure you keep the hot water side of the faucet closed when in use).

How are you planning on getting the water from your house out to the shop? Outdoor faucet and drinking water hose? Would you bury it? My garage is detached with no plumbing, so I interested in finding out how to supply water out there.

Awesome. Thank you guys very much for the help. I'm sure you'll see more threads from me in the future. Maybe one day if you are around AR we can trade some physical therapy for some brew since I don't have any just yet lol.

I'm going to do this some day and will just tie into the water line in my basement and run a new line out to the garage wall that joins the house. The run a hose around along the ceiling to wherever the sink will be

BioBeing, I plan on just running a water hose to the shop. It has a garage door that I will be keeping open while cooking when I get the propane burners going and just run the hose through that. The link that I posted earlier shows the utility sink that I am thinking about getting. BTW, I am at the Saucer alot across from Peabody. Probably have seen ya before lol.

I see the plan now.

I understand about the big box stores; those people are (more often than not) idiots. +1 to going to your local Ace hardware and asking. Chances are you'll get someone who actually has a clue.

As to draining, you could probably run a drain hose right out to your gravel sump. Easier than dragging/carrying a tub of wastewater.

Cheers,

Bob

I see the plan now.

I understand about the big box stores; those people are (more often than not) idiots. +1 to going to your local Ace hardware and asking. Chances are you'll get someone who actually has a clue.

As to draining, you could probably run a drain hose right out to your gravel sump. Easier than dragging/carrying a tub of wastewater.

Cheers,

Bob

LOVE THAT THEORY!!!!!
All big box store employees are idiots...

From a former service plumber-business owner-Roto-rooter franchisee/2.5 year Lowes employee/

Give VERY specific details(INCLUDE PICS of what you are trying to do,what you have now, where you want water) and I may be able to help.
My Great Grandfather- One of 8 brothers-All Plumbers
1 was plumber of record for the EMPIRE STATE BLDG in NYC- My mom has that document on her wall in her office.

My Grandfather-Plumber/General Contractor. Built a development on spec in Hamilton Sq, NJ. 08690

Sorry if previous post came across a little rough..

Alright guys, thanks for all your help. Stopped by ACE on the way home from school today. Thank God there are still people in the world that know what they are talking about (no offense to any former Lowes/Home Depot employees that did :) ). The guy there knew exactly what I needed and pointed me out in the right direction:

IMG_0185.jpg

He also showed me the rest of the materials needed. So now:

IMG_0187.jpg

I have my very own utility sink with everything I need. The best part about it was that it turned out to be the exact same price as the one on the web, except that I got alot more for my money.

Awesome. I plan on putting one of those on my back deck someday just for brewing.

Yeah, I figured it would be nice to have out there in the shop to wash bottles and maybe put a water filter on it so I wouldn't have to running in and out of the house. This is just a temporary one while I am renting my house during school. Dec 2010 can't come soon enough :D.

mcooperpt- You can purchase an undersink mounted electric waterheater from you local plumbing supply house. They usually run about $100.00, but make sure to install a GFCI recepticle. It will give you some hot water. You may have to turn the water off when it starts to get cold to let the heat build again.

BioBeing- Your only 2 choices are to (a) run a hose from your hoes bib (like previous posts) or (b) trench from your closest bib and run copper hard line

Thank you very much BrownsBrewing. That might come a little later. I'm going to have the propane going for a little while until the cash starts flowing again. This sink is made of plastic, so would there be any problem mounting the motor to it in terms of heat melting the plastic? Like I have said, I have no experience whatsoever working with anything but human bodies.

BioBeing- Your only 2 choices are to (a) run a hose from your hoes bib (like previous posts) or (b) trench from your closest bib and run copper hard line

Does the hose have to be a special kind? I've heard a regular garden hose is a no no. Don't have the budget (or permission from SWMBO) to do anything permanent out there just yet...

BioBeing, I plan on just running a water hose to the shop. It has a garage door that I will be keeping open while cooking when I get the propane burners going and just run the hose through that. The link that I posted earlier shows the utility sink that I am thinking about getting. BTW, I am at the Saucer alot across from Peabody. Probably have seen ya before lol.
Similar to what I'm thinking. Need my propane burner etc first.

And I don't often make it to the Saucer. Too many kids!

To be on the safe side. I would not mount the motor to the sink. They were designed to mount to the wall under the sink, hence "undersink mounted" Try to leave at least 6" clearance between the two

Latest posts

Back