Question about recirculating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

japhroaig

Reaction score
In a few days I should be getting a wort pump from Morebeer, so the idea occurred to me that I could start recirculating my wort to improve efficiency and clarity. What I'm missing however is a heater to keep the wort at the desired temp, so recirculating during the mash isn't gonna happen--especially since homemade electrical projects put the fear in me.

So I thought perhaps recirculating after a normal mash at the very beginning of the sparge might have a similar net positive effect. My idea was this--start the sparge, wait till my mash tun is nearing capacity, then recirculate for a half hour. After a half hour, sparge like normal.

So my question is this--will it make a difference? Will it increase my efficiency? Is it a waste of time and electricity? I'm not going to wire up a heating element any time soon, so that option is basically moot.

Thanks!!

i would think it would help with clarity, but i don't really know. i was actually wondering the same thing myself. what will the pro's say?

Sounds like you are basically talking about vorlaufing with a pump... should work just fine.
I would start the re-circulation near the end of your mash with the pump throttled way back and slowly increase. I'd circulate for about 10-15 minutes during mash out. You'll loose heat quickly, so I wouldn't circulate too long.

I recirculate, but more for greater temperature control than anything else. I typically add my strike water aiming for about 4 degrees below my desired mash temp (mitigates the risk of too high mash temp), and then I can bring the temp up to my desired mash temp and can hold it there for the duration of the mash. It also increases my odds of consistency between batches which was another goal with my system.

Back