Question about priming sugar for bottling.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyetube

Reaction score
My question is, I don't know how much beer I have in my primary fermentor. I lost some do to a flub in racking the beer to the fermentor and have extracted quit a bit for some testing purposes. I think I have around 3 gallons but no way to tell. I have a whole bag of priming sugar designed for a full 5 gallon batch but don't want to over carb the beer (It's a Pliny the Elder clone). I'd rather not have to put an exact amount of sugar in each bottle, I'd rather boil some water, add the sugar and mix with beer and rack to bottles.

If I use the whole bag, will I be over carbonating the beer? If so, do I just use a portion of the bag and how much?

Probably, yes the beer will be over carbed (but without knowing how much you have its hard to say how much). What are you fermenting in? Most fermenters have markings on them. Post a pic of your fermenter? Again, without knowing how much is in the fermenter its hard to say how much sugar is the correct amount. Also, never trust the bags as being "designed" for that batch. I think its always smart to run calcs to find out how much sugar to weigh out and mix in.

Considering the circumstances, I would say that you absolutely need to prime each bottle individually, at least for this batch.

These work very well; your LHBS should have them:

81T%2BOGwCzdL._SL1500_.jpg

My question is, I don't know how much beer I have in my primary fermentor. I lost some do to a flub in racking the beer to the fermentor and have extracted quit a bit for some testing purposes. I think I have around 3 gallons but no way to tell. I have a whole bag of priming sugar designed for a full 5 gallon batch but don't want to over carb the beer (It's a Pliny the Elder clone). I'd rather not have to put an exact amount of sugar in each bottle, I'd rather boil some water, add the sugar and mix with beer and rack to bottles.

If I use the whole bag, will I be over carbonating the beer? If so, do I just use a portion of the bag and how much?

You will definitely overcarb if you put a portion of sugar intended for 5 gallons into only 3 gallons.

Here's an idea:

Prepare the sugar water for the upper end of what the amount could be (3.5 gallons?) using an online calculator (e.g., this one: https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/).

Then rack into something that allows you to measure the volume (perhaps calibrate and mark up a bucket using measuring cups or something if you don't have a bottling bucket) to bottle. Then, once you know your volume, dump in either all the sugar water you've made (if it turns out you've got 3.5 gallons) or, more likely, adjust the amount to handle how much you actually have...for example if it turns out you've got 3 gallons, dump in 3/3.5 = about 86% of the sugar water you've prepared.

I think I have around 3 gallons but no way to tell.

Of course there is a way to tell. You can physically measure the height of the beer in your fermenter; then measure the diameter of your fermenter. Determine the volume of the beer column, and now you have a darn good approximation of the volume of your beer. I say approximation because by measuring the outer dimensions of the fermenter, you will need to account for wall thickness and draft on the walls.

Considering the circumstances, I would say that you absolutely need to prime each bottle individually, at least for this batch.

These work very well; your LHBS should have them:

81T%2BOGwCzdL._SL1500_.jpg

I am curious what they consider low, medium, and high carbonation?

1 sugar cube per 12oz bottle also works, and 1 sugar cube is equal to 1 tsp (for reference).

Of course there is a way to tell. You can physically measure the height of the beer in your fermenter; then measure the diameter of your fermenter. Determine the volume of the beer column, and now you have a darn good approximation of the volume of your beer. I say approximation because by measuring the outer dimensions of the fermenter, you will need to account for wall thickness and draft on the walls.

Math and alcohol dont mix :ban::tank:

Here's my fermentor:

hosting image

I'm thinking around 3.5 gallons seems right But I think the measure from the bottom and circumference idea is a good way to go. If I remember right, this is a 6 gallon fermentor.

Here are a few options that should get you close enough:

1) Weight the beer. Using a second, identical container that is empty get the tare weight. Then, weight the fermentor and subtract the tare to find the weight of the beer. If your weight is pounds divide by 8 to calculate the gallons.

2) Assuming the fermentor is basically a cylinder (plastic bucket or carboy) measure the outside diameter and the depth of beer therein. Calculate the volume: Area = Radius squared time 3.14159 (Pi). Area times depth = Volume. Assuming the radius and depth are in inches, divide by 231 to find the gallons.

Holy headspace. Ya, those ridges are gallon markings. Very top one is 6. Looks like 3.25-3.5 gallons to me

Here are a few options that should get you close enough:

1) Weight the beer. Using a second, identical container that is empty get the tare weight. Then, weight the fermentor and subtract the tare to find the weight of the beer. If your weight is pounds divide by 8 to calculate the gallons.

2) Assuming the fermentor is basically a cylinder (plastic bucket or carboy) measure the outside diameter and the depth of beer therein. Calculate the volume: Area = Radius squared time 3.14159 (Pi). Area times depth = Volume. Assuming the radius and depth are in inches, divide by 231 to find the gallons.

I only have 1 carboy unfortunately.

You only have about 3 gallons so add sugar to each bottle individually. You are not going to have a LOT of bottles.

3 gallons = 384 ounces / 12 ounce bottle = 32

I am curious what they consider low, medium, and high carbonation?

1 sugar cube per 12oz bottle also works, and 1 sugar cube is equal to 1 tsp (for reference).

Hi, TW -

I'll be honest, I am not a math/science person, so I have never done any calculations. I suppose a person could weigh them and do some calculations etc. in order to put it in more exacting terms, but I personally I have never found it necessary.

What I know is that these tabs are made from plain, ol' corn sugar, and that they are very reliable. I usually go for a "medium" carbonation and have great results. If there is a batch of beer that has some unknowns for whatever reason, I go with a lower carbonation and have never had any problems. I have not yet done the high carbonation, but I intend to do so with my next appropriate beer.

I had my doubts about these things at first, but after using them for a little over a year, I have full confidence in them. I have seen some companies put out a product that is more like a lozenge; one per bottle. I would certainly feel more confident with these tabs than I would with the lozenges, because the amount you use can be tailored a bit.

That's about all I know, except that they've never failed me.

Hope this helps -

Ron

Hi, TW -

I'll be honest, I am not a math/science person, so I have never done any calculations. I suppose a person could weigh them and do some calculations etc. in order to put it in more exacting terms, but I personally I have never found it necessary.

What I know is that these tabs are made from plain, ol' corn sugar, and that they are very reliable. I usually go for a "medium" carbonation and have great results. If there is a batch of beer that has some unknowns for whatever reason, I go with a lower carbonation and have never had any problems. I have not yet done the high carbonation, but I intend to do so with my next appropriate beer.

I had my doubts about these things at first, but after using them for a little over a year, I have full confidence in them. I have seen some companies put out a product that is more like a lozenge; one per bottle. I would certainly feel more confident with these tabs than I would with the lozenges, because the amount you use can be tailored a bit.

That's about all I know, except that they've never failed me.

Hope this helps -

Ron

Thanks Ron :)

That's not true...those ridges do not mark gallons. I used to think the same thing until I tested it.

Mine very much do. And I have tested it

So do they or don't they? That is the question... I think my best bet is going to be to measure circumference and height to get the volume and convert that to gallons then I'm good to go. I could use the priming calculator and not have to measure for each bottle then. I still have a 4-5 days before I bottle I think. I'm just letting the beer sit opn the hops a little longer is all.

Mine very much do. And I have tested it

It i possible we have different carboys but I know I have checked mine a few times and the lines don't match. The only way for the OP to know for sure is to test his...but for now, since the carboy is already full, it's best he find another way to estimate its volume.

It i possible we have different carboys but I know I have checked mine a few times and the lines don't match. The only way for the OP to know for sure is to test his...but for now, since the carboy is already full, it's best he find another way to estimate its volume.

Once I empty the fermentor, I'm gonna test the gallon line theory. I have a strong belief that the lines are not gallon marks just from looking at the fermentor, but I could be wrong. My glass fermentor is pretty much one fo the most common fermentors. I will do the glass etch thing though once I get it empty that way I have permanent marks for the gallon marks.

Back