Question about oxidizing a new alum pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mychalg9

Reaction score
I got a turkey fryer kit that I really only wanted for the burner, but as a bonus it came with an aluminum 30 qt pot. I've read on here that before you use aluminum, you should boil water for an hour in it to oxidize the aluminum. Is that necessary to do even if I dont plan on boiling in it? I do BIAB and was thinking of trying to mash in my SS pot and sparge in the alum one. I know a sparge is not necessary with BIAB but its something I want to try out since I have the spare pot now. So if I am just heating water in the alum pot up to 180 or so, should I still oxidize it beforehand?

I got a turkey fryer kit that I really only wanted for the burner, but as a bonus it came with an aluminum 30 qt pot. I've read on here that before you use aluminum, you should boil water for an hour in it to oxidize the aluminum. Is that necessary to do even if I dont plan on boiling in it? I do BIAB and was thinking of trying to mash in my SS pot and sparge in the alum one. I know a sparge is not necessary with BIAB but its something I want to try out since I have the spare pot now. So if I am just heating water in the alum pot up to 180 or so, should I still oxidize it beforehand?

see if your answer is located here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/natural-passivation-boil-water-268797/
or check out the sticky on Aluminum pots: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/faq-aluminum-pots-boil-kettles-49449/

I would also boil and let the water cool over night. It sould leave a dark coating on the inside of the pot
:rockin:

I guess I am just being lazy. I'll go ahead and do it anyways, its only an hours worth of time and propane

I guess I am just being lazy. I'll go ahead and do it anyways, its only an hours worth of time and propane

I would first try filling the pot to the rim and let it sit overnight. You may be able to condition that way also. If you dont have the darkened color by doing that just boil (rolling) for 15-20 min

Back