Question about my starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boralyl

Reaction score
So this is my second batch of beer and the first time I got liquid yeast. It was a Wyeast Activator pack which mentions it has roughly 100 billion cells and is good for a 5 gallon batch. So about 3 hours before making my starter I slapped the pack, but honestly had trouble finding the "inner packet". After 3 hours I boiled 1 liter of water with 3 dry ounces(weight) of light DME. This boiled for 15 minutes. I then cooled it down in an ice bath to about 73F. I funneled it into my sanitized jar, shook it up and cut open the yeast packet. After emptying most of the yeast in I noticed the inner packet wasn't even broken so I cut that open and dumped it in as well. I then put my sanatized tin foil on top and shook it up again. I then put it in a dark place with a temp range of 69F-73F shaking it up every once and a while. It's been about 36 hours now. I was expecting to see bubbles and a krausen on top but don't see anything of that sort. I've attached an image from this morning for review.

2cBLH.jpg

So is there a problem with my starter or is this how it is supposed to look? Also did I make any obvious mistakes in my process for creating the starter? And 3rd my 3rd batch is going to be a higher gravity beer that I am going to double pitch yeast. This container pictured above won't be big enough to hold a starter for that so could I use my 64oz flip-top growler for this?

Thanks in advance!

That ring of crud slightly above the top of the fluid looks like crud left from krausen to me. I think you're OK, you probably just missed the action. Pretty common for starters. The main event is usually done by 36 hours.

EDIT: The bubbles around the sides of the starter are a good sign as well.

Made a starter using a smack pack last weekend and it looked identical. Has been fermenting just fine all week.

I don't know the exact strain off hand since I'm not at home, but it's an ale yeast. Seems the consensus is the starter is fine and that I just missed the main event. Should I bother refrigerating it when I get home tonight to use tomorrow, or will it be fine remaining out at room temps?

Stick it in the fridge. They will start to go downhill if it sits around at room temps with nothing to eat.

Looks like an English strain considering how well flocculated it is.

Thanks for all the replies, greatly appreciated. My only remaining question is concerning making a larger starter for a higher gravity beer. Could I just use my 64 oz flip-top growler as my vessel for the starter? And would I use the some process (sanitized tin-foil on top)/

Yes. I normally use a 1/2 gallon growler for making starters, and have had no issues making pint or quart size starters. I can actually fit my airlock into the top of the growler though, which is nice.

Thanks for all the replies, greatly appreciated. My only remaining question is concerning making a larger starter for a higher gravity beer. Could I just use my 64 oz flip-top growler as my vessel for the starter? And would I use the some process (sanitized tin-foil on top)/

I've heard of peoples using growlers for starters, but I've never tried it myself. You would cover it with tin foil, same deal.

Yes you could do that

AND/OR

do it in two steps:
Do the small one just like you did. Wait for ALL the yeast flocculated just as you did. Pour out the liquid leaving the yeast cake. Then pour in a second batch of starter wort. wait 24-36 hours and then pitch the whole thing into your batch of beer. The down side of the 2 step process is it takes twice the time.

ALSO

Consider a stir plate. A stir plate will increase your starters efficiency so you get more growth from the same size starter. It just makes starter sizes much more manageable.

Torchiest:

I love the name you've chosen for your 42nd batch of beer (I presume those are batch numbers). Very appropriate :p

Torchiest:

I love the name you've chosen for your 42nd batch of beer (I presume those are batch numbers). Very appropriate :p

Yes, they are, and thanks. :D

The only problem is, I don't know what kind of beer to make, because it has to be the most awesome beer ever to live up to the name.

Latest posts

Back