Question about Mamajuana

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LudovicoManin

Reaction score
So, this is going to be an odd question but I am wondering if anyone has experience with it.

I am in the Dominican Republic and they have a local drink called Mamajuana which they call a baby maker. Ha ha. It is only about 28 proof and they said you can make it at home by combining equal parts red wine, honey and rum. That being said, there are a number of… things… in it that look like twigs of some sort. Apparently, they are the secret.

Any idea as to what this might be or if anyone has tried it. Any insight as to how to make a home brewed version of this?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Source: Mama Juana - Wikipedia

Mama Juana (or Mamajuana) is a spiced alcoholic beverage made by infusing a mixture of rum, red wine, and honey with tree bark and herbs. The taste is similar to port wine and the color is a deep red. It originates in the Dominican Republic.

The specific herbs that make up Mamajuana were originally prepared as an herbal tea by the native Taíno; post-Columbus, alcohol was added to the recipe.
I guess to clarify… I am not really asking for the contents but more of a recipe that someone else has used. I know it is a shot in the dark, but I figured I would turn to my home brew brethren before I consulted the almighty google.

I guess to clarify… I am not really asking for the contents but more of a recipe that someone else has used.
I posted the Wiki link to give others here an idea what this beverage is about.

Some of the ingredients are common and easy to source.
But making the real thing hinges on which kinds of bark and herbs to use, giving its unique flavor/aroma.

Many spice/herb/botanical liquors (Jägermeister, Beerenburg, etc.) are produced by steeping herbs and spices in 80-100% alcohol, then cutting it to a 30-42% alcohol product that is sold and consumed.

Look around, they sell bottles at the gift shops with just the bark and spices. There is a recipe on the bottle on how to mix in the alcohol components. Be safe while you're there.

So, after asking around the resort to a few of the bartenders, it seems that the organic material that goes into mama Juana can be sourced through market places like Etsy. Who knew? Figured it was worth mentioning for anyone who wants to try making this tasty concoction at home.

The organic material can be used multiple times in the same bottle and can last up to 10 years given the right conditions.

I’d be interested if anyone wants to give it a go and letting me know how it turns out.

Thanks for all your help!

I have had Mamajuana during a number of trips to the Dominican Republic. I would encourage anyone who is interested in making it to actually try some before spending a lot of money and resources on it. YMMV but unless you love to drink cough syrup, you probably aren't going to enjoy a lot of mamajuana. It does make for a great story and a fun thing to have guests sample, but it would take me a long time to go through one batch of it. Now on the other hand, if you want something truly Dominican to partake in I would recommend the Brugal Extra Viejo rum. It is my preferred sipping rum and is what the locals tend to drink. Every time I travel there I am bringing back my limit in 750ml bottles, which at about $11 US per bottle is a steal for a delicious rum. Brugal can be found in the US but I have never seen the EV anywhere in the states.

I have had Mamajuana during a number of trips to the Dominican Republic. I would encourage anyone who is interested in making it to actually try some before spending a lot of money and resources on it. YMMV but unless you love to drink cough syrup, you probably aren't going to enjoy a lot of mamajuana. It does make for a great story and a fun thing to have guests sample, but it would take me a long time to go through one batch of it. Now on the other hand, if you want something truly Dominican to partake in I would recommend the Brugal Extra Viejo rum. It is my preferred sipping rum and is what the locals tend to drink. Every time I travel there I am bringing back my limit in 750ml bottles, which at about $11 US per bottle is a steal for a delicious rum. Brugal can be found in the US but I have never seen the EV anywhere in the states.
For what it’s worth, the stuff I had to drink down here was smooth and delicious. But at $50 US at the resort, I’d rather try and make my own. I’d imagine if you let the flavors get happy for a while and shake it every so often that it has to get better.

I loved it in the DR. They promote it as a cure of what ales you - impotence, cancer, sterility, etc. (it's a big joke that everyone's in on). I promptly came back home and bought some "seasoning" packs off amazon and made two batches - one with and one without the star anise. It was okay; obviously not as good as what they make in the DR. The cool thing is that after your bottle is empty, you just add more honey/wine/rum to recharge it and have more in a couple weeks.

Reminds me of what some old timer said about the backwoods hooch he was selling:
Old timer: Try some of this kid. It'll even cure blurry vision.
Me: I can see just fine.
Old timer: It'll cure that too.
Me: I'll take it.

I agree with this. I've had a bottle of it in recent years and 'medicinal' is the word for it. Interesting, but medicinal. Someone here mentioned it being "rum red wine and honey" which sounds delicious but I assure you, the bottle I had had nothing in common with those ingredients. I also agree with Tancred in that Brugal is great stuff.

Back