Question about Maed clearing in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMH

Reaction score
I transferred my first batch of mead into the secondary a little over two wweks ago, for the first few days it seemed to be clearing pretty well. There is about a 1/2 inch of sediment on the bottom. But after that the level of clarity has not changed since. How long would it typically take to clear, and is this normal for it to pretty much have no change in clearity after the first week or so?

There are a bunch of variables that could be contributing to the time it takes to clear, two weeks really isn't that long though in the grand scheme of mead making. The first thing to look at are the ingredients, is it a traditional honey, water, yeast, nutrient only mead or did you have adjuncts like fruits and spices in your primary? What type of yeast did you use? They fall out (floccuate) at varying rates and efficiency. What temp is it being kept at? Cooler temps tend to encourage clearing. If you want to bring it a long faster, give it a good shake as it's probably got a marginal amount of fermentation going on still then cold crash it if you have the ability to do so, stick in in a refridgerator or coldest place you can find for 24-48 hours.

it isa traditional honey, water, yeast, nutrient only mead for the time being. Once it clears im going to split it into multiple 1 gallon batches and flavor in different ways. Yeast used is 71B. I'd say temp is between mid to high 60's. What exactly would shaking it up do, wouldnt that cause the sediment at the bottom to somewhat mix back in?

We can all be a little impatient with our first batches.

I'd say just get some finings and use them. As you could probably get it clear in 24 to 48 hours with the 2 part type finings.......

I hate clearing, it takes a lot of time. Most everything I have now has at least some sediment at the bottom . It doesn't effect flavor unless you get a big mouth full of yeast, if it isn't for show or it isn't your ownpersonal priority to have crystal clear booze don't trip. Other hand, in five years ( if it lasts that long) it'll be way more inviting if you can read the newspaper through it. Make up you own mind.

Back