Question about hard cider that sat in a carboy for over a year... no airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alamedabrew

Reaction score
Well more that I made this stuff over a year ago, got busy and in the meantime the vodka in the water lock evaporated. So it has sat there with no actual water lock for some time. My question is: Is this stuff going to be ok to bottle? This is a high gravity cider. Probably somewhere around 12-15%. Anyway, just being cautious here...

Taste it. Really, if it tastes okay then I am not sure there is anything to worry about.

Cautious about what? If there's 12-15% alcohol then there's nothing other than the alcohol in the beverage that will kill you or make you sick.

It's as simple as.... If it tastes good then bottle it, if it tastes like vinegar then bottle it, if it tastes horrible then dump it.

Ok doke,
Just wasn't sure as since its been open to the air if there would be spoilage issues. I will say that I smelled it today and it honestly smelled like a nice Rose wine.

Ok doke,
Just wasn't sure as since its been open to the air if there would be spoilage issues. I will say that I smelled it today and it honestly smelled like a nice Rose wine.

If it smelled like that I'd be drinking it straight out of the fermenter. It's probably pretty good!! Good luck with it! :mug:

As these folks have said, nothing in there is going to hurt you. Worst case scenario is it turns to cardboard flavor (I don't do many ciders, but I think the cardboard oxidative reaction is a malt reaction, don't know if that can even happen with cider). Next worst case is apple cider vinegar, which has plenty of uses. Otherwise it's probably fine.

Back