Question about Graff & Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewinginct

Reaction score
I just stumbled onto the Graff recipe and it sounds great. I had a couple of questions that I posted in the recipe section of this board but I figured I would get a quicker answer if I asked here too.

I definitely prefer hoppy beer over beer with a strong malty flavor. Would adding more hops to this recipe ruin the balance and taste too hoppy, even to someone who enjoys a bitter IPA?

I am a fan of cascade hops and was planning on using them but I read some mixed reviews in this thread. Has anyone found that they add too much of a citrus flavor to the cider?

Thanks, can't wait to make this!

I brewed the Gunslingers Graff with subtle variations. I took out the smoke malt, used grape juice instead of apple, and I used an extra half oz of centennial and an extra oz of cascade for the full boil, and another oz of cascade at flame out. It is in the secondary fermenter now and the hops are not too strong, surprisingly. If this was the Graff recipe you were thinking of trying then I would say the more hops the better!

I have never tried a lighter Graff, but if you like hops I would add them later in the boil as to avoid too much bitterness and not enough hop flavour/aroma.

Cascade is also a good for dry-hopping!

I like how people here say "This recipe is great! But I substituted the main ingredient for something completely different and replaced all the other ingredients with some stuff I had lying around then followed a completely different preparation procedure." :)

I like how people here say "This recipe is great! But I substituted the main ingredient for something completely different and replaced all the other ingredients with some stuff I had lying around then followed a completely different preparation procedure." :)

hahah... so true.

Adding grape juice would mean it's closer to Midas Touch ale or something.

The original graff recipe said to use 1/2oz hops AT MOST, otherwise it's too bitter. Hope it works out for the OP though.

I followed the recipe pretty much exactly but the AA in my hops were slightly higher.

I can't even tell the hops are there. I am going to do a test batch with some low AA% so I can add more hops for flavor and try some dryhopping. Hopefully it comes out nice...

Back