question about ginger ales and rootbeers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truble

Reaction score
Hello all,

question for those of you that also make non-alcoholic brews like ginger ale and rootbeer. if you carb naturally in the bottle, how do you prevent the yeast from consuming all the sugars, creating too much alcohol and also making bottle bombs?

I want to make some rootbeer and ginger ale for my nieces and nephews for summer cookouts.

Is there a tried and true method to do this?

I made a root beer with some extract I bought at the LHBS and it looked to me like that was done by carefully controlling the amount of yeast you add. that's pretty much what the package said. I must have done something wrong though, because mine never carbed. :(

I've sure made some bottle bombs! Rootbeer was my first attempt, when I was 17, 35 years ago.

Perhaps sweeetening the soda with Lactose, since yeast won't feed on lactose? Then prime as per beer to get the carbonation? Otherwise, force carbonate the sterilized soda in a keg, and bottle with a counter-pressure bottler...

I know of Malzbier recipes that call for pasturizing the bottles in hot water, when sufficient carbonation is achieved. I guess that would also work for root beer and ginger ale.

Kai

Back