Question about GFCI in my apartment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanneltrees804

Reaction score
I live in an apartment building in Chicago that has 6 units in it. I get electricity delivered to box in my apt and comes in at 240v/50amp. If the electricity coming into my box is protected by GFCI, does that mean everything coming out of my box is also protected? This is a $90 question so let's hear some good news!

Question - How do you know the power being delivered to your apartment is GFCI protected?

I'm not sure that it is... I checked and don't see what I am used to GCFI breakers looking like. Each of the 6 units has it's own box downstairs but there are no breakers in them, just one 240v/200amp fuse box with the six boxes wired in relay. Any thoughts? I'm assuming no GFCI down there after taking a look but I'm no electrician. Also, is there any place to get a 30amp double pole GFCI for less than $80? Even ebay is expensive.

Can you post a pix of your apartment breaker panel? I'd like to see the breaker layout and sizes. I guess I'm trying to figure out the circuits that you have available. A dryer?

Latest posts

Back