Question about getting the right kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

td672p

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am sure this is asked here on a daily basis, but I've just joined and not really sure how to use the search and whatnot. So here's my question:

My husband has been wanting to get into brewing his own beer. What do I need to get him to get him started? He had done a batch a few years ago but then we had kids, then a move and somehow the "supplies" were lost/broken/ whatever. SO I want to get him a nice kit for christmas so he can pick the hobby back up. I want it to be a total surprise, though so I was wondering if anyone can recommend for me a kit to get him started back up again? I have looked at this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BU7CVM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 would this be nice? I would probably do the "frequently bought together" and get the glass bottles and caps as well. I've also already purchased a rather large stock pot. Would this be everything he needs?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just super pumped to get him back into this and I REALLY don't want to screw it up :) Thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on what I'm seeing that the kit comes with, I'd get 1 more 6.5 gallon bucket and lid WITHOUT a spigot. The carboy is only a 5 gallon, so he would need a blowoff tube set up if he was using that as a primary, as there isn't enough headspace. If he had 1 more 6.5 gallon bucket, he can use that as a primary and then use the carboy as a secondary (if he chooses to use a secondary.) Some people use the spigoted bucket as a primary, but really this is a bottling bucket and lots of people never use it to ferment in, as the spigot may cause problems. You also need a thermometer. And a hose/tubing for racking and transferring. And a bottle wand. Lastly, make sure that the "siphon" is an autosiphon and not just a racking cane.

Here is a great kit...pretty much identical to the one I got when I started. However, it does come with a 5 gallon kettle, which you mentioned that you already have.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CD66CI8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

This kit should have everything you need..comes with 2 buckets..1 bottling and 1 primary. It looks like it comes with everything else I recommended
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AC55H24/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You mentioned you recently got a large stockpot, how big is it? If it's not 4-5 gallons, I would recommend going with mrgrimm's suggestion:

Here is a great kit...pretty much identical to the one I got when I started. However, it does come with a 5 gallon kettle, which you mentioned that you already have.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CD66CI8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
[/url]

I also like the fact that this kit includes the Better Bottle fermenter (rather than the glass version, the one that looks like a water cooler bottle). The plastic ones are lighter, have a bigger opening at the top, and are much safer to use. Every now and then we hear about a homebrew disaster where one of the big glass fermenters breaks.

Beyond this kit, all he would really need would be a recipe kit and bottle caps (if I'm reading the description correctly).

Great gift idea! Hope this helps.

I have spigots on all my fermenters, as it makes for easier use when racking & such. They just need to be removed & cleaned after every use & snugged down properly, rather than tightened excessively. Those kits look pretty decent, but here's another suggestion from Midwest; http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-basics-equipment-kit.html They also have options you can add on as well. I prefer the pails to anything else for primary, as the wide opening makes it easier to clean, dry hopping, etc. Just my 2c worth. They also have many different styles of beer kits.

I have spigots on all my fermenters, as it makes for easier use when racking & such. They just need to be removed & cleaned after every use & snugged down properly, rather than tightened excessively. Those kits look pretty decent, but here's another suggestion from Midwest; http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-basics-equipment-kit.html They also have options you can add on as well. I prefer the pails to anything else for primary, as the wide opening makes it easier to clean, dry hopping, etc. Just my 2c worth. They also have many different styles of beer kits.

To each their own on the spigots..maybe I'm just paranoid. I also prefer the buckets for primary. I recently got a Big Mouth Bubbler and I used that for the first time last weekend. I like it a lot so far.

I kinda like the BM bubbler. I was wondering how the screw-on lid's work out? I also posted pics once of how I got this brown rubber sheet from Lowe's to make another washer for the inside part of the spigot. It made snugging down the spigot washers way easier to get just right. No more leaks. So here it is again;
The basic materials used to trace the white washer onto the rubber patch material & cut it out;

A view to how it fits into the back of the spigot;

The spigot goes in the mounting hole, then the new brown rubber washer, then the white one, then the lock lug. The extra washer makes it easy to get a no-drip installation. I found the brown rubber sheet on the end cap of the isle where the bulk tubing is.

That's awesome. I like the BM Bubbler so far. The lid seems very snug once it's screwed on. I'm not really afraid of it working itself off, as it takes several turns to get it off. I've checked it a couple times a day since I brewed and every time I make sure that the lid is on tight and that the bung hasn't worked its way out of the port, but both have been nice and snug since I put them on. I got the dual port lid as well, but I didn't use it for this batch.

Good to here. I thought it was a good compromise between Better Bottles & buckets. I hate having to split a couple ounces of bourbon-soaked oak between a couple hop socks to get it down the narrow neck of the BB's. Sounds like the buckets would be good for primary with the BM Bubbler for secondary?

I got a 6.5 gallon plastic BM Bubbler and am using it as a primary. I don't often secondary, so I will probably leave this one in for a few weeks and then bottle. I have a 5 gallon glass carboy I would use for secondary (if I needed to) but the BM Bubbler will work great for primary. The dual port lid seems like a brilliant idea..I got a solid stopper to put in one and the airlock and drilled stopper go in the other. If I had a wine thief or needed to siphon I could do that without removing the lid or the airlock..I just remove the solid stopper from the 2nd port. And I'm really liking the punted bottom..I can rest the siphon there without going too far down into the trub/yeast layer on the bottom.

That punt in the bottom/center is a nice carry-over from the Better Bottles I think. I like being able to rest the auto siphon on the punt myself. I just thing it's a good primary, but would also make a good secondary in the right size? Just a thought for the OP...:mug:

Back