Question about filtering beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chichum

Reaction score
I recently bought a filter to clear up my beer and remove the yeast. I bought both 5 micron and 1 micron filters. My plan was to run the beer through the 5 micron filter and then back through the 1 micron filter. Does this remove anything more than what I want? Example, I have a pumpkin beer with a lot of spices/flavors in it - would running it through a 1 micron filter remove any of the flavors of the beer?

I believe that I read in a BYO article that filtering does remove flavor. I think the specific article was more concerned with hop flavor as the hop oil stick to the yeast, which stick to the filter, etc.

All the commercial brewers filter though, so just taste it coming out of the other end and decide.

I recently bought a filter to clear up my beer and remove the yeast. I bought both 5 micron and 1 micron filters. My plan was to run the beer through the 5 micron filter and then back through the 1 micron filter. Does this remove anything more than what I want? Example, I have a pumpkin beer with a lot of spices/flavors in it - would running it through a 1 micron filter remove any of the flavors of the beer?

I assume you are kegging since you want to strip yeast. The guys I know that filter just use the 5 micron. I think you have to go down to 0.5 microns to sterile filter.

why not just cold crash for a few days to drop out the yeast and rack it over to a keg? Is filtering worth the hassle? Does it leave the beer clearer than cold crashing?

Back