Question about fermintation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ocguy106

Reaction score
Hey all quick question about fermintation. I have just started brewing and have been doing mostly kits. I have made about 10 batches thus far and in the past haven't really checked my SG since these were kits and I figured all of that had pretty much been figured out for me. I usally just let the it ferment for a week or so and then keg. This has worked really well and produced very good tasting beer but I never really know my ABV. For my current batch I finaly bought a Brix/SG meter.

The current batch is a Fat Tire clone that I have made in the past. On brew day my SG was 1.056 as expected and the ending SG is supposed to be 1.014
It has been a week and I am currently at 1.030.

Do I just let it sit longer or pitch more yeast? any help would be great. Also this is a 5 gallon batch in a bucket at 68 deg.

Thank You
Ken

Hey all quick question about fermintation. I have just started brewing and have been doing mostly kits. I have made about 10 batches thus far and in the past haven't really checked my SG since these were kits and I figured all of that had pretty much been figured out for me. I usally just let the it ferment for a week or so and then keg. This has worked really well and produced very good tasting beer but I never really know my ABV. For my current batch I finaly bought a Brix/SG meter.

The current batch is a Fat Tire clone that I have made in the past. On brew day my SG was 1.056 as expected and the ending SG is supposed to be 1.014
It has been a week and I am currently at 1.030.

Do I just let it sit longer or pitch more yeast? any help would be great. Also this is a 5 gallon batch in a bucket at 68 deg.

Thank You
Ken

Are you talking about a refractometer? If so, you have to correct for the alcohol present in the solution.

yes I am using a refractometer. Not sure what you mean as to correct for the alcohol present in the solution. I was under the impression that I just take the SG reading with the refractometer and that is it. For what it is worth the refractometer I have automatically corrects for temp other then that not sure what to do.

Ken

A refractometer measures sugar content so once the wort becomes beer, there is a brix calculation that needs to be made since the sugars have been converted to alcohol.

I don't use one so if you have a hydrometer use that, otherwise do a search for the adjustment calculation you need, sorry I can't provide that

Alcohol in the liquid throws off the refractometer's measurement. Once the beer has started fermenting, a reading with a refractometer does not provide immediately meaningful information.

What you can do is plug the numbers into a spreadsheet that correlates the original gravity and the refractometer reading to estimate the actual specific gravity. Morebeer has one on their website. I haven't used it (actually I don't even own a refractometer) so I can't vouch for its calculations, but it'll probably be better than just using whatever the refratometer reads, since that's definitely incorrect.

The other approach would be to buy a hydrometer and use that...

Thank you all very much....using that table it looks like my ending gravity is 1.015. I was shooting for 1.014 so looks like I hit right on.

Thanks again to all
Ken

Back