Question about Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrews824

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys/gals,

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam before but I wanted to get some opinions.

Ok, brewed a brown ale on Sunday. Got it chilled down to about 64F and pitched the yeast and threw it into the fermentation chamber (small freezer w/ inkbird controller). Woke up yesterday morning (Monday) and checked on it and it was beginning to ferment. Went to work, came home at lunch and checked on it one more time. This thing was going to town!!! Looking beautiful and healthy. Big head of Krausen, excellent color, etc. Came home after work, same thing. Looking great!!! Woke up this morning (Tuesday) and checked on it and fermentation has basically ceased. Krausen has settled and a still a few bubbles coming through the blowoff tube, but nothing like I would have anticipated.

I used Lallemand London English Ale yeast (dry). It was well within its expiration date and I'm fermenting at around 66/67F and the yeast, according to the website, does its best work between 65F-72F. Now, when I use Kviek it obviously can blow through fermentation in a day or two, but I've never had this happen with anything else.

Any idea what could be happening? Am I still good? Or is there something I should do?

Appreciate any feedback guys/gals.

Thanks,
Scott

mashed at what temp?
I would not measure anything until a week had passed, the less ya mess the better.
English yeasts may benefit from ramping up temp after 4-5 days, ramp up a couple degrees a day, to 72, hold a week, then maybe measure

I did a 4 gallon BIAB

8.45 lbs grain bill:
- 7.1 lbs. of pale malt
- 0.6 lbs of caramel/crystal 60
- 0.4 lbs of caramel/crystal 80
- 0.2 lbs of chocolate malt
- 0.15 lbs of black patent malt

Gravity was reading ~1.046.
1.046 can easily be done in a fairly short time.

mashed at what temp?
I would not measure anything until a week had passed, the less ya mess the better.
English yeasts may benefit from ramping up temp after 4-5 days, ramp up a couple degrees a day, to 72, hold a week, then maybe measure

I mashed at 152F. Yeah, the more I'm reading I've run across a few things that say to raise temp slightly for a few days until 72F.

I also don't like messing with it to much as far as taking readings while fermentation is happening. I just wait until I bottle to grab my final gravity.

Appreciate it.

I have used some English yeasts that benefited from a daily swirl of the fermenter. Made me want to ferment on a stir plate. But not really. But almost.

Back