Question about Fermentation pail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MONST3R

Reaction score
I'm fermenting my first batch of beer in my fermenter which is a food grade plastic pail. This pail does not have a fermentation lock (airlock) on it's lid. I noticed today when i was checking on the brew that the lid is starting to rise or bubble in the center, as there is no way for the carbon monoxide to escape because i closed (snapped) the lid tight. Should i just lay the cover on top of the pail without snapping it shut so the carbon monoxide can escape or will that give me bacteria???

Ok so it will be fine to just sit the lid on the top without snapping it shut. I was just worried about bacteria.

Thanks

I do have an airlock for my secondary, but i don't have a hole in my primary pail to put the airlock

No problem -- you can drill plastic easily enough. Use a flat wood bit or a hole saw bit and add a hole big enough for a bung and airlock. But don't put the hole in the center of the lid -- put it towards the side. That way you can prop the bucket up so it is a little tilted, and get a bit of extra headspace to avoid blow-offs.

Oh, and I wasn't suggest you do this WHILE THE BEER WAS FERMENTING! For now, leave your lid ajar, and cover the top of the pail and lid with a garbage bag and secure with a big rubber band. This will allow CO2 to escape, and nothing will get back in.

Latest posts

Back