Question about Fermentation Bucket Sizes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DGag453

Reaction score
I recently brewed my 8th batch of beer (2nd all grain). This was my first time crushing my own barley, and also my first time using a yeast starter. I used a yeast starter because I wanted to make a high-alcohol espresso porter.

Based on calculations in Palmer's book, I think I pitched about 170 billion yeast cells into about 5.5 gallons of 1.065 OG beer. I used a standard 6.5 gallon fermenting bucket for primary fermentation. Temperature in the closet was about 66 F, but temperature inside the bucket was about 72 F. I kind of assumed this beer would overflow the airlock, as this happened the only other time I made a beer with higher than 1.060 OG.

Things were much worse than I predicted. About 18 hours into fermentation, the airlock clogged and the lid blew off. I don't need to describe the horrific mess, hours of cleaning, and ruined walls.

Obviously, I want to avoid this happening in the future. One option, I suppose, is to use a blow off tube. This seems like a lot of hassle, still a bit risky, and a waste of beer. The more obvious solution would be to use a larger fermentation bucket. The only ones I can find online are the 7.9 gallon wine bucket and the 10 gallon. 7.9 gallons still seems a bit small, however, and the 10 gallon doesn't have a fitting for an airlock? Does anybody have a good solution? Ideally, I would prefer to use an airtight 9 gallon bucket that accepts an airlock. I'm guessing 2.5 gallons of extra space over the standard 6.5 gallon bucket would be more than enough safety net.

HBT requires pictures of exploding fermentations. You must have missed the memo.

I recently switched to a Vittle Vittles Vault, 30lb as I recall. Drill a hole in the lid, insert grommet and airlock and you have a great fermenter. Easy to carry, in my case it fits perfectly into my wine fridge for a controlled ferment and it is large enough to have a vigorous ferment with no overflow. I do 6 gallon batches and still have lots of room for more.

just use a blow off tube into a one gallon jug thats what i do... also maybe find a used fridge on CL for a ferment chamber that way if it explodes its easy to clean up

Blow off tube... Really no hassle at all.

You will not lose very much beer and it is a lot better than washing the ceiling. A bigger bucket would work. Get a bigger one as an additional fermenter.

I put the hose in a small jar of starsan solution in a bucket. I only had one that filled and overflowed the jar. The bucket caught all the overflow.

I don't change back to an airlock unless I need the blow off assembly for a new batch.

Back