Question About Evaporation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robthefrog

Reaction score
Let's say I have a pot of water boiling. If I turn up the heat, does the amount of water that's evaporated increase or stay the same?

I'm wondering this because I'm wondering if I get my wort up to a boil and then turn the flame down to where it's keeping it boiling is just saving me gas or if it's also keeping more water in my boiling pot.

All of the increased heat after boiling is directly going into energy for evaporation, so yes increasing the heat would increse the evaporation rate.

I usually always turn my gas down just enough to get a decent boil to save gas, you need to account for these changes to reach your final volume, usually by trial and error.

the harder the boil, the more steam you generate. so, turning the gas down saves you gas and boils off less water.

Thanks, guys! I used a new burner SQ-14 Bayou Classic last night. It was my first experience with propane, and I was extremely impressed by how fast I was able to boil water. (I come from a stove top background.) I usually buy 6 1 gallon jugs of water from the store, and I noticed that I just barely hit the 5 gallon mark in my fermenter when all was said and done. I should probably work on turning the gas down more to keep a nice rolling boil to conserve a little more water.

Mini-Review of My First Noob Experience with the SQ-14:

Things I liked:
Getting the air mixture was a bit finicky, but I got a nice blue flame.
I did an extract brew (5 Gallons). 10-15 Minutes to get up to a boil, 1 hour boil. I used 3.2 pounds of propane. I was told to expect 3-4 brews out of a 15# propane tank. So this seems pretty dead on. There was very little noise in my opinion. I expected more noise.

Things I didn't like:
Why do they insist on painting the damn thing where the flames are going to just burn the paint off?
I had to use a make-shift wind screen out of a cardboard box to maintain an efficient flame.

Back